Desk Center Drawer
I'm going to be building a desk soon. It will be 99% used for work on a computer, primarily for work with a cordless keyboard and mouse. I've seen plenty of desks with some type of center drawer that folds out to be a keyboard tray, but I really don't like that design for something that will almost always be used with a computer.

Would it make sense to make the desk slightly lower and make a very short center drawer for pens and such, or should I skip the center drawer entirely? I'm working from home quite a bit, so ergonomics is important. I'm planning on building a slightly raised platform in the back to make the monitors higher like I like and give a little space underneath.

Also, I'm planning on making this mostly mission style with QSRO. Does it make more sense to make a solid top or melamine top picture framed with oak? 5/4 QSRO isn't common here, so I thought of getting some 5/4 flat sawn red oak and using the more rift sides of the board for the picture frame edging.

Any pictures for ideas or inspiration wouldn't hurt. I've been scouring the web for some today. I usually find inspiration for my projects from finding pics and taking various design cues that I like from several.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Over the last 18 months I built 2, for different areas in the house. Both were library table style desks, replacing in one case an enormous (purchased) rolltop desk and in the other a RTA thing that was "temporarily" put into use. Both had center drawers for the keyboards. The one that replaced the rolltop it needed to be that way since it was closed up a fair amount of the time. It was also the main computer in the house and sets where it was seen. the second is in a basement room and holds the computer I use most often (like right now). I built the downstairs desk first out of oak, and didn't make the keyboard drawer wide enough for my liking. I run out of room to move the mouse. So when i built the upstairs desk (cherry) I made the drawer about 2/3s the width of the desk. That still wasn't quite wide enough to my taste, but it actually isn't too bad. All this is to say your plan is not a bad one. But I wonder if you can build it to have the pencil drawer and still have room to move your legs under the desk. My desks are about as low as you can go with a very thin drawer, and though my wife and I are fairly short they are probably as low as you can go. What I wanted to do and could not figure out a way to do it, way have a sunken area in the desk front/center for the keyboard....thinking I could put the mouse on the desk top next to the keyboard. Getting the frame to do that just didn't seem to be sturdy enough. Anyway, here's the 2 I built with the drawers extended. I'll be interested in what you decide to do, maybe I'll replace mine with your design.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Personally, I don't like the keyboard drawer.

I'd rather use a wireless keyboard, and slide it out of the way when not using it.

But as of late, all my computers are laptop, and can be used anywhere.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I have not had a keyboard drawer in many years. Even back then I never used it. The last three desks I've built have not had one. In fact with modern office chairs you generally won't be able to push it under a standard height desk if there is a drawer.

Storage is useful, but they do tend to get in the way in my opinion.
(12-27-2021, 02:19 PM)FS7 Wrote: I have not had a keyboard drawer in many years. Even back then I never used it. The last three desks I've built have not had one. In fact with modern office chairs you generally won't be able to push it under a standard height desk if there is a drawer.

Storage is useful, but they do tend to get in the way in my opinion.

The main reason for the keyboard drawer is to put the keyboard at the correct typing height--about 3" lower than a desk.  This is important to skilled touch typists.  Hunt and peck typists would never notice the difference.

Speak to anyone who does a lot of touch typing and they will tell you that the lower height is an important feature.  The height changes according to your height:

"Elbows should remain tight to the body, and should bend between 90 and 120 degrees. Adjust the height of your computer keyboard to best achieve this neutral body position."
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-28-2021, 11:38 AM)Cooler Wrote: The main reason for the keyboard drawer is to put the keyboard at the correct typing height--about 3" lower than a desk.  This is important to skilled touch typists.  Hunt and peck typists would never notice the difference.

Speak to anyone who does a lot of touch typing and they will tell you that the lower height is an important feature.  The height changes according to your height:

"Elbows should remain tight to the body, and should bend between 90 and 120 degrees. Adjust the height of your computer keyboard to best achieve this neutral body position."

I couldn't disagree more if I tried. I am a computer scientist and have been what you would probably call an expert touch typist for at least 30 years. At no point have I ever used a keyboard drawer, nor have I ever used a keyboard at the "proper" height in my entire life. I have never had any sort of wrist, elbow, or forearm issues, and I have been typing significantly more than the majority of people for most of my life.

It might work for others, but to suggest it is a universal truth is a bridge too far.
Fred,
Beautiful work , I like the leg gussets they add a touch of class ..

Guy,
, I would suggest to taper the legs.. but either way, depending on the look your after
or better more sturdy without.
Your getting some good input here, now days I am seeing many standup or raisable top
fine desks for computer work.. Some are even motorized... pretty cool

Be safe
(12-28-2021, 11:38 AM)Cooler Wrote: The main reason for the keyboard drawer is to put the keyboard at the correct typing height--about 3" lower than a desk.  This is important to skilled touch typists.  Hunt and peck typists would never notice the difference.

Could not agree with you more! I'm a touch typist who has been typing for 40+ years now. My desktop iMac sits on a desk similar to the one in Fred's 1st photo (not as fancy). The lower position of the keyboard makes typing much more comfortable. I use the mouse on the desktop on a pad. Works for me!

Doug
I'm a touch typist, but I do not type 100% of the time when working. It's been so long since I've had any desk with a lower typing area or low enough for it (including at work) that I've gotten used to it. I'm also pretty tall so that helps. I also use a pad in front of the keyboard and a mouse pad with a wrist pad for a long time. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I'm too old (stubborn) to change.

Maybe I'll build a shallow middle drawer and I can replace it with a keyboard tray if I decide it's needed.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(12-30-2021, 12:01 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: Maybe I'll build a shallow middle drawer and I can replace it with a keyboard tray if I decide it's needed.

That actually might be the best plan, keep your options open.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.