Powermatic Planer -- What is this part? - RESOLVED for now
(12-28-2021, 05:31 PM)R Clark Wrote: Thanks, John.  I'll give it a try.  My outside work took longer than I planned today, so I'll work on this either this evening or tomorrow as the weather closes in.

I'm not really keen about having the sharp blade up against a cast iron surface for the setting operation.

I am looking forward to putting this planer into service.  However, I'm kind of disappointed in the low quality owner's manual for this machine.  The drawing for the knife setting jig shows a jig that is differently shaped than this piece of iron.  There's no mention of the knife setting jig in the parts diagrams.  There are other aspects of the manual that miss the mark as well.

You should see the owner's manual for my MiniMax.  It makes Japlish manuals look well written.  I wouldn't worry about the knives getting dulled against the cast iron knife jig, but if it really bothers you use the jig to set the knives then get a set of planer pals, adjust them to the knife height, and use them in the future.   

John
Just came in from the shop.  I really do need to remove the chip breaker to put that jig on the cutterhead; but the rod going across the machine that sets and secures the height of chip breaker is being difficult.  I haven't found any set screw that secures the rod.

When I came in, I wanted to review portions of the manual again, and so I opened up the pdf manual I found online.  It's an entirely different manual.  The pdf appears to be a later version.  It has wholly different illustrations and clearly shows the knife setting jig--the one that is in the illustrations in the manual, not the one that was supplied with my machine.  That style knife setting jig can be used without removing the chip breaker.  sigh.............

Back at it in the morning.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I used a set of knife setting jigs like these with a used planer I bought that had no knife setting jig.  Maybe they would fit on the cutter head w/o having to remove the chip breaker.  I adjusted them to fit the knives before I removed the knives the first time.  

John
(12-28-2021, 10:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I used a set of knife setting jigs like these with a used planer I bought that had no knife setting jig.  Maybe they would fit on the cutter head w/o having to remove the chip breaker.  I adjusted them to fit the knives before I removed the knives the first time.  

John

Thanks for the link, John.

I see several brands of the same design, some for much less than the $47 of that set.  How did you decide on brand?

I see that the Shop Fox Planer Pals are $90+ on Amazon.  I have had the SF Jointer Pals for many years.  I can't see the expense for the Planer Pals.

I probably should give the provided jig one more decent try before I decide that it's ballast and replace it with an aftermarket set.

Nothing heard from PM so far, but I'm thinking the help here has obviated the need to tarry for their "customer service."

Ray
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Are you sure the factory knife jig requires the chip breaker to be removed?  Doesn't seem like that should be the case.  

I bought the knife setting jigs I have at Woodcraft because it was convenient and I needed them.  I have no more need for them so I'll make you a good deal if you want to go that route.  

I've seen people make their own knife setting jigs from a two short pieces of angle iron by laying the legs flat on the drill press table so it forms a triangle and then drilling/tapping a hole through the peak for a machine screw.  You set the jigs over the knife at each end and turn the screw down until it touches the knife, then lock it in place with a jamb nut on top.  

Most jigs work the same way; it's just a matter of finding something that fits your machine.  

John
So...last evening I moved the chip breaker out of the way and wedged it in the "out of the way" position.  This is the only way that the jig will fit between the side of the cast iron upper case and the chip breaker.  Otherwise, the chip breaker is sitting against the jig and it moves the jig out of position.

That's the cast iron jig sitting to the side of the cutterhead.  According to the manual, there are springs under the knife; I suppose that's why the jig does not rely on magnets to hold the blade in position against the jig while securing the gib screws.

The jig fits...just fits.

Appreciate your willingness on your excess-to-you setting jig.  I'll see how this jig does before I decide whether or not to replace it.

Thanks for the assist.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Glad you figured it out.  The jig should work fine.  

John