hanging tv on brick
Hi all, I am hanging an older 55" tv on a brick fireplace wall.  (heat not an issue)  I can line up the holes in the mortar or brick.  Which is better?  Thanks guys

ROB
I'm guessing you are using a TV mounting bracket? Iffin it were me... I'd sink the anchors in the mortar joints if possible. Easier to repair than holes in brick.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(12-27-2021, 06:41 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'm guessing you are using a TV mounting bracket? Iffin it were me... I'd sink the anchors in the mortar joints if possible. Easier to repair than holes in brick.

I agree.  Easier repair and far easier drilling, too.  And Tapcons are your friend.    

John
(12-27-2021, 07:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I agree.  Easier repair and far easier drilling, too.  And Tapcons are your friend.    

John

Yup, thanks guys, using a mount that can extend and swivel. So tapcons directly into the holes drilled into the mortar or tapcons into anchors sunk into holes in the mortar?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

In addition to easier to repair the holes than brick, mortar is (or should be) solid the width of the brick. Unless you hit the brick webbing, the brick will be hollow. For this reason I have always put fasteners into mortar joints.

Tapcons don't need an anchor. I would use at a minimum something like 3/16" with appropriate fender washers. If you've never used them, they hold extremely well.

Bolts in sleeve anchors are fine too. They do require a bigger hole.
(12-30-2021, 02:24 PM)FS7 Wrote: Tapcons don't need an anchor. I would use at a minimum something like 3/16" with appropriate fender washers. If you've never used them, they hold extremely well.

Bolts in sleeve anchors are fine too. They do require a bigger hole.

thanks all  used 1/4" tapcons.  so far so good.
(12-28-2021, 09:50 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:

He’s calling 3/16” tapcons as 3/8” all through the video?
VH07V