round bottom spokeshave recommendations please
Hi,  I'd like to purchase a round bottom spokeshave for working on concave surfaces.  I'd appreciate recommendations and/or thoughts.  Thanks.  -Howard
Lie-Nielsen's Boggs spokeshaves or the Lee Valley spokeshaves are great. Unfortunately, they are both out of stock. A flat spokeshave that has a narrow sole can do decent work on all but the smallest radius surfaces. Lee Valley sells a spokeshave kit where you can make your own. Alternatively, you can hit eBay or other sales sites for vintage Stanley spokeshaves which may require some work to get them working properly. Woodcraft sells a Pinnacle branded radiused spokeshave. Looks like a Stanley 151 knockoff. I haven't seen any reviews on it, so I can't vouch for its quality. It is in stock.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-29-2021, 10:46 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Hi,  I'd like to purchase a round bottom spokeshave for working on concave surfaces.  I'd appreciate recommendations and/or thoughts.  Thanks.  -Howard

Here’s another vote for the L-N Boggs round bottom shave, when it’s back in stock.  I have and use one and it’s terrific.
(12-29-2021, 10:46 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Hi,  I'd like to purchase a round bottom spokeshave for working on concave surfaces.  I'd appreciate recommendations and/or thoughts.  Thanks.  -Howard

It may matter whether you are working a concave shape on the edge of a board or into a board face.

That said, once you get an idea of what you want to try (and especially since so many vendors are out of stock), you might get lucky posting a WTB in SnS.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Seem to recall the Stanley and a Mr. Seymour Smith & Son made some pretty nice ones....IF you can find them...

Some days, you just trip over them...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-29-2021, 10:46 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Hi,  I'd like to purchase a round bottom spokeshave for working on concave surfaces.  I'd appreciate recommendations and/or thoughts.

I have the Lie-Nielsen Boggs flat bottom and round bottom spokeshaves.  My son has the Veritas flat bottom spokeshave.

I have much less chatter with the Lie-Nielsen shaves.  They feel more solid to me.  I also don't really like the screw adjustment on the Veritas shaves.

Note that the round bottom shave is not all that round.  I don't know what the radius is, but it's large enough that if you could only buy one spokeshave, you could easily get by with just the round one.  I was recently using these two shaves to smooth the edges of some spatulas that look like this:   https://www.mwells.org/woodworking/proje...n-spatula/  The round shave was not able to get in the bottom of the curves.  It just went a little bit further than the flat shave.  The rest was easily cleaned up with sandpaper, but thought I would point that out.  For smoothing the edges of the handle, I could use the flat or round one.  I also use the shave to smooth the bevel.  I use the flat one for that and I don't think the round one would work on large, convex end grain like that.

Mark
I agree with Mark that the LN round bottom one isn't very round. I tried it once and was unimpressed with it in that regard and ended up not buying one because of it. I'd prefer one with more curvature.

(01-03-2022, 07:58 AM)msweig Wrote: I agree with Mark that the LN round bottom one isn't very round. I tried it once and was unimpressed with it in that regard and ended up not buying one because of it. I'd prefer one with more curvature.

I'll look at mine to see if that curvature could be altered.  I recall reading a post somewhere that it could be done.  I have a modern copy of the M-F cigar shave that is truly round and works well, but I believe is no longer made (I don't recall the name and it's not marked).

The Stanley #52 and #152 are relatively common and work just fine with a little tuning and sharpening.

Kunz makes a copy. As with most Kunz tools, it's Meh.

Rockler sells a copy of the #152 (casting made in India) and it has a rather thick blade. Consider it a "kit" and not a ready-to-use tool. Once tuned up a bit it works just fine.

The LN and Veritas designs are good and nearly 100% ready to go from the box. Pretty much just honing is required. I've found the LN design (e.g. Boggs Shave) to be capable of only very fine shavings due to the closed mouth. This may or may not be an issue. The #152 can be easily adjusted for a fine cut on one side and a heavy cut on the other side of the blade which I've found to be more helpful.

All that said, I use a #151 much more frequently than the #152
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin