End grain on bandsaw boxes
Hi,

I'm thinking of making my first bandsaw box, but I'm wondering how to deal with end grain. Inevitably, two sides of the box will be end grain. Does that mean I should avoid woods with "bad" end grain, like oak? What woods are good for bandsaw boxes?

Thank you.
(12-29-2021, 03:37 PM)BAlex Wrote: Hi,

I'm thinking of making my first bandsaw box, but I'm wondering how to deal with end grain. Inevitably, two sides of the box will be end grain. Does that mean I should avoid woods with "bad" end grain, like oak? What woods are good for bandsaw boxes?

Thank you.

Can you give an example? I am not overly familiar with bandsaw boxes, but end grain is usually somewhat hidden in that it's rounded off or otherwise irregular. I'm not sure that it's a concern, so I'd like to see what you mean.
Bad end grain? I have built many bandsaw boxes with red oak. I have always kept the end grain thick enough in the drawers that it held together fine. Maybe ~1/4". If you are worried about the ingrain staining darker that could happen. I like to use Watco or Linseed oil for the first coat to give them color. I always sand the end grain a grit or two higher than the rest of the box so it doesn't stain noticeably darker.

All this said, I have always liked the less grainy woods for bandsaw boxes. Walnut and Maple are my favorites. Cherry is nice but you have to be careful that the end grain does not stain too dark like Oak or Ash.
Sorry I cant find any pictures of the oak ones.

Attached Files Image(s)

Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!