Festool 500 or 700?
So, I'm planning to build a custom closet with 1 3/8" thick sliding barn doors and will be making some more interior doors and larger furniture in the future (dining table, etc.).  I am considering taking the plunge on a Festool Domino 500 or 700.  I'm leaning towards the 700 and (eventually) a Seneca Small Mortise Set that would allow me to use the Domino 500 bits for smaller projects, but don't want to regret doing so if the 700 doesn't perform as well as the 500 for smaller projects.

After moving a few years ago, I now have a smaller workshop so I'm a little cramped for space and have to keep my 15" planer, 8" jointer and clamp cart in my garage.  As such, I'm looking to downsize a bit and would likely sell my Powermatic benchtop mortiser (in new condition) and my General tenon jig (not due to its size, but lack of need if I get a Domino).  Selling these tools would also ease the bite of the cost of a Domino.  I also have a PC biscuit jointer that I'll probably keep for smaller projects.

I would appreciate any advice you have.  Thanks!
(12-29-2021, 05:21 PM)KevMel Wrote: So, I'm planning to build a custom closet with 1 3/8" thick sliding barn doors and will be making some more interior doors and larger furniture in the future (dining table, etc.).  I am considering taking the plunge on a Festool Domino 500 or 700.  I'm leaning towards the 700 and (eventually) a Seneca Small Mortise Set that would allow me to use the Domino 500 bits for smaller projects, but don't want to regret doing so if the 700 doesn't perform as well as the 500 for smaller projects.

After moving a few years ago, I now have a smaller workshop so I'm a little cramped for space and have to keep my 15" planer, 8" jointer and clamp cart in my garage.  As such, I'm looking to downsize a bit and would likely sell my Powermatic benchtop mortiser (in new condition) and my General tenon jig (not due to its size, but lack of need if I get a Domino).  Selling these tools would also ease the bite of the cost of a Domino.  I also have a PC biscuit jointer that I'll probably keep for smaller projects.

I would appreciate any advice you have.  Thanks!

In full disclosure, I'm not much of a Festool fan so I don't have any of their tools. However given that the mortise and tenon joint is one of the basics in woodworking there are other solutions as you have obviously found. Here is one designed and developed by one of the members here, John TenEyck. Given it is not as portable as the Domino but seems to handle most shop projects. Will also cost a fraction of the Festool unit. 

Maybe John will come along later to answer any questions you might have.

Doug
Except for the very large work like balcony and large entry doors, you can use 500 with double tenons for most large pieces like tables and beds. But the 700 works well with the seneca kit except for the smallest work (4mm) as the kit doesn't come with the smallest bit.

Another consideration is how often you use the tool. Contrary to what some say, if you do a lot of dominoes, the 700 is a very heavy machine after you make the first 30 - 50 cuts.....50 isn't a lot. Easily you could be making well over 100 mortises in a cradle project. In terms of positioning for delicate work, the 500 is the tool to go for.

So, if you make mostly LARGE projects and have strong arms, go for the 700. If you mostly build furniture down the road rather than doors, the 500 is the sweet spot.

Dowels are also used to build big doors and a dowel jig is the easiest to learn and use compared to any other systems I know.

Simon
I made the plunge a few months ago. I have used it several times in the past month. 3 waterfall tables several small keepsake boxes. The table top would not fit through my planer or 24" sander. Using the Domino 500 I joined the 2 halves together and the 10mm bit, the 2 halves came together where I could barely feel the joint. Using the Domino for the 45 deg joint on the water fall table, the joint came out perfect. I compared the 500 to the 700 and the lighter weight and handle to hand position sold me. The only thing I wish the Domino had is a LED light just above the scale. I have to use a portable light to see the scale good enough, at least in the 45 deg position. It is an expensive purchase, but in the projects I have done with it, it was well worth it. I adapted my Fein shop vacuum to hook up to the Domino, according to the instruction booklet a vacuum is strongly suggested.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I have the 500. I wish I had both. I think the Woodwhisperer had a comparison video.

I've got both, and yo probably need to handle both of them before deciding. The 700 is such a handful to use that if I could only have one I'm sure it would be the 500. If you're built like Hulk Hogan, then maybe the 700 with the Seneca stuff (for smaller tenons) would be a workable option.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-30-2021, 06:21 AM)fredhargis Wrote: yo probably need to handle both of them before deciding.

Sound advice. I know some people went with the TS55 instead of the TS75 because of the weight. Of course if the extra depth of cutting is critical (whether it's the 75 or 700), there is only one choice.

Simon
(12-29-2021, 07:28 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: The only thing I wish the Domino had is a LED light just above the scale.

One guy here uses a clip on LED light with a flexible neck from Lowe's ($5?). Not as good as a built in light like the LED seen in the new routers but solves the problem for his eyes.

Simon
Thanks for all the advice!  This morning, I went to a local lumber yard that sells Festool so I could handle both, but they were out of stock and had no idea when they would be receiving more.  The next closest retailer is about 30 miles away, so I'll call them to see if they have any in stock prior to taking the drive.

I also reviewed the Wood Whisperer's website and found the information there to be very helpful.  I guess I'm not the first person to ask this question.

I'm still leaning toward the 700.  It may help with my new year's resolution to workout more so I can bulk up enough to handle it.  LOL.

Thanks again!
I suspect you'll find them out of stock pretty much everywhere. I know I've seen several posts from folks looking to buy one and can't find it. Good luck!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.