Garage Door torsion springs
Another item in short supply,   Finally found one online.  The local supply houses won't sell just the spring as they said they are in short supply and are keeping them for their installers. 
 What was a $60 spring a few years ago is now $100.   If they install about $250.    Roly
Wow, that's a serious increase. I had to have one replace last year (I hired it out) and the installed cost was $120.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-30-2021, 06:23 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Wow, that's a serious increase. I had to have one replace last year (I hired it out) and the installed cost was $120.

I heard just last night that a nearly completed commercial building I designed is waiting for its overhead doors for 2 more months only because they lack the springs and the installer does not want to make two trips.  They were to be installed back in October and as it is now wont be until February.  The building is nearly complete but has plastic covered overhead door openings.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Replaced our garage doors this year, torsion springs were good to go, so fortunately I was able to store the new springs away, if needed down the road.
I'm cutting a 12'x12' opening in a block wall on Monday so new machinery can be brought in on Wednesday. The door is over two months out and it's a working machine shop so plastic won't quite cut it.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
when the builder finished my pole barn in April, the last thing we were waiting for was the garage doors.  fortunately, it was a short wait, but he had said "the door company knows they have a delivery truck coming next week and hoping your doors are on it...but they won't know until they unload it - their supplier isn't telling them what is coming"
(12-30-2021, 07:24 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I'm cutting a 12'x12' opening in a block wall on Monday so new machinery can be brought in on Wednesday. The door is over two months out and it's a working machine shop so plastic won't quite cut it.

How are you supporting the block above the 12 ft elevation, or is that the top of the wall?  Decades ago, a truck driver took out the overhead door and header beam and some of the block above all that.  The mason used what he called ‘needles’ which were rods sticking out of a steel beam that went into holes drilled in the wall.  

That beam supported the rest of the wall with the beam inside the building while he rebuilt the sides, reset the lintel, and rebuilt the block wall under those supported by the needles.  I thought that was pretty cool.

Hmm - 40 years later, it’s still standing.  
Laugh

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"