DW621 very sticky plunge
My 621 has never had the smoothest plunge mechanism. But it has been extra grabby lately. The column does not look to be in great shape, and whatever these marks are from, some of them are definite dings. Do you think i have any chance at smoothing out the plunge?

[Image: i-xsBcmxb-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
If this was mine I would get some very fine wet / dry sand paper and "shoe shine" polish the post. Use some WD40 on the paper, make sure to wipe off the post well before trying to try the plunge. Maybe try just spraying some WD40 on the post and work the plunge several times. You can see where it is binding.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Plus 1
Take it apart, clean it, polish it, and find what is doing the damage and eliminate it.
(12-30-2021, 04:33 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Plus 1
Take it apart, clean it, polish it, and find what is doing the damage and eliminate it.

Yeah.

My problem is that I cannot find a service manual, or anything written up to explain how to disassemble. I know from experience not to wing it. Google searches failing me. If anyone knows of any instructions, please let me know. Video is fine too.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The parts diagram might help:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt..._2731.html

I have the same router. I don't have problems with the plunge. I'm currently waiting on a new variable speed control for it.

(12-31-2021, 09:03 AM)crokett™ Wrote: The parts diagram might help:
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt..._2731.html

I have the same router.  I don't have problems with the plunge.  I'm currently waiting on a new variable speed control for it.

Thank you. I was there yesterday. It. helps, for sure. But experience says I will do something hard to reverse, or, at best, waste a lot of time without step by step guide. So I am still hoping.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I would try to clean up the damaged shaft with out taking it apart. Just clean up the area real well so grit does not get between the shaft and bore.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
My 621 has never really plunged 'smoothly', but it's never stuck or been balky.  Hands down, it's the best plunger I've had.
(12-31-2021, 03:18 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I would try to clean up the damaged shaft with out taking it apart. Just clean up the area real well so grit does not get between the shaft and bore.

Thanks, LM. I will definitely give that a shot.
Best,
Aram, always learning

A little late to the party on this one, but after cleaning thoroughly you might shine it up with some paste wax. It has worked for me for other sticky parts.

Good luck,

Doug