DW621 very sticky plunge
I would not recommend wax or oil to lubricate. These will attract dust, and you will be back to square one.

As suggested, strip, then polish the rods. Lubricate with graphite.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-10-2022, 08:07 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I would not recommend wax or oil to lubricate. These will attract dust, and you will be back to square one.

As suggested, strip, then polish the rods. Lubricate with graphite.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just as a follow-up I purchased a small bottle of graphite just to give it a try on my DW621. Did not help. Back to square one. Might try some 3 in 1 oil. Personally I think the sawdust problem is overrated - YMMV.

Doug
Doug,  I am with you on the sawdust issue.  I have the same router, and think I took it apart and cleaned the rods, but don't recall enough to give you any tips, and it is quite possible I am confusing it with a smaller Dewalt router that I do know I took apart to address a rod issue.
(02-04-2022, 08:08 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Doug,  I am with you on the sawdust issue.  I have the same router, and think I took it apart and cleaned the rods, but don't recall enough to give you any tips, and it is quite possible I am confusing it with a smaller Dewalt router that I do know I took apart to address a rod issue.

Yeah Barry, in my experience it's hard to beat a quality oil product for lubrication. As an aside I'm restoring and refurbishing a Dewalt GA RAS. Took it completely apart including the column which was "gummed" up due to years of use and neglect. When I put it back together and used a dry spray lubricant (recommended by more than one forum supposedly because of sawdust), it was very difficult to crank the arm and carriage up and down. Applied some WD-40 and it was like day and night. With proper dust collection I think the problem with sawdust will be minimal at worst.

Doug