Brad point bits
I've had good luck with the LV ones.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(12-31-2021, 10:44 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Easy and quick.  You ground it once, you can regrind them again.  If the steel is good, its rare to resharpen them unless the same size is used for lots and lots of holes.  It usually takes me about three or four minutes to get a good point on a 3/8" bit.  With a 1/32" Norton A60 OBNA2 wheel on a 6" grinder and a magnifying glass, you have a lifetime supply of wood boring bits made for bits intended for metal drilling.  I've been doing it since the late 1970s when I got a so called brad point drill bit set from some mail order place.  They were horrible.  I got out my A60 OBNA2 6"  wheel and ground them to what I thought they should be.  Been doing it ever since.

In the past I've submitted articles on how to do this.  The editors said that their readers weren't interested in this.  FWW and the American Woodworker.  I think the companies that sold drill bits were big advertisers.  Eventually I quit trying to educate people.  It was like swimming upstream in a current of disingenuous misinformation (if you get my drift).

Bob, it sounds like you need to make a video or post an article for us here that appreciate the knowledge.
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
(01-01-2022, 01:12 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Fine Woodworking did a video in 2015 by Michael Fortune on grinding twist bits into brad point bits. Is it easy? No to someone who has never done it. Just like any other skills.....dovetails, M&T by hand,  a piece of cake to those who have mastered the skill.

Hand ground bits (large ones; you can't do small brad points) are not as consistent, long lasting and good as the premium ones, but they are dirt cheap to make as you can use old twist bits. But if you buy one good quality set say for $100, it'll probably last you 10 to 15 years or more. Mine has been over 12 years....but it still looks good for another 12 years based on my assessment.

Simon

My father-in-law used to say; "Brain surgery is easy if you know how." A long time ago a shop foreman showed me how to grind a 3/16" bit to drill out a mis-placed spot weld without touching the bottom layer. When the bit freed the panel it left what looked like a tiny, super-thin, fender washer welded on the bottom piece. I could sand it off with 220 grit paper.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
The Fisch set is down to $69 @ Amazon. Been temped but I question the need for a new better set. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Fisch-FSF-36475...cx_mr_hp_d

Quick update. I don't know who that was questioning the need for buying a better tool. I must be coming down with something.
(01-02-2022, 09:17 AM)taxman Wrote: The Fisch set is down to $69 @ Amazon. Been temped but I question the need for a new better set. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Fisch-FSF-36475...cx_mr_hp_d

Quick update. I don't know who that was questioning the need for buying a better tool. I must be coming down with something.

Wow, same set is "on sale" at Woodcraft for $99.99.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Hard to beat that price. Prime free shipping? If I didn't have enough, I'd grab it. May be in another 15 or 20 years, I'd need a new set (by which time my need for any bits will be........zero).

I used to resharpen my twist bits with one of those B&D sharpeners. But bits are so cheap on sale in sets of 60 or 80 etc that I consider them a consumable.

Simon
I bought this set in 2020 and have been very pleased with them.  Made in USA.

I purchased them here:
Ebay Bowers Tool

The same set is also sold here:
Holbren
Infinity Cutting Tools

[Image: VxeevWgl.jpg] [Image: hKss3mml.jpg] [Image: crIWSVvl.jpg] [Image: wE4qYLCl.jpg] [Image: KuuCIa1l.jpg]
I bought a 3/4" brad point bit (Wood Owl brand) from Amazon.com.  I used it to produce three MFT tops in 3/4" MDF.  I drilled probably close to 200 holes and the bit is still sharp. 

They sell a set of larger sized bits on Amazon.com:  https://www.amazon.com/OverDrive-Boring-...C89&sr=8-2

Be aware that "Owl" brand is not the same company as "Wood Owl".

As I recall these were made in Japan or Taiwan.  When I get home I will check.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I ordered a 15 piece set of Fullers today and I want to thank all of you for the help deciding what to do. 

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!