Help Choosing a Finish?
I'm building electric guitar bodies.  I've ruled out lacquer, poly, and nitrocellulose because my priority is a smooth feel.  Would Danish oil have a smooth feel, but still offer some protection?  Is Shellac frictionless to the touch? Any other suggestions?   I'm working with Alder, Basswood, and Poplar.
Thanks
I don't understand your problem. Most any film finish can be polished to a smooth surface. Many, if properly applied, will flow out smooth right out of the can; particularly if sprayed. How do you define "smooth"?
(12-31-2021, 11:52 AM)Willyou Wrote: I don't understand your problem. Most any film finish can be polished to a smooth surface. Many, if properly applied, will flow out smooth right out of the can; particularly if sprayed. How do you define "smooth"?

Well, my problem is that I have no experience with finishing
Sad  If it's true that any 'film' finish can be made smooth, meaning your skin doesn't catch on it when touching, that is good news.  With lacquer and varnish, if you drag your finger along it, it sticks rather than glides.  I also don't know if a 'film' finish can protect against denting, or which finishes qualify as 'film'.  Thanks for your patience.
When you say "skin doesn't catch on it" and "sticks rather than glides" do you mean sticks as with rough like sand paper or sticks like tacky like undried glue or the sticky side of tape? The latter would mean that the product is not yet dry.
Lacquer and varnish are both film finishes. They cure to a hard surface that stays on the surface. They are somewhat analogous to a piece of clear packing tape stuck down to the surface. Finishes like tung oil and danish oil are penetrating and seep into the wood before they cure.
Because they stay on the surface and are hard, film finishes can be sanded smooth and polished to glass like surfaces. If, after applying, they dry to a rough surface like sandpaper, you have likely gotten a lot of dust and debris in it right after application or the wood surface wasn't properly prepared, ie, not sanded fine enough. Your work area must be dust free for a good finish. This is true for any, not just lacquer and varnish. However, it is not uncommon for the initial application of any film finish to "raise the grain" causing a sandpapery feeling after it dries. This requires sanding with fine grit sandpaper and then subsequent coats will be smoother.
I highly recommend that you find a book on basic finishing that will inform you on the different types of finishes, how to apply them, and how to prepare the surface for application. You can likely find similar information on line, but I think a book or two will serve you better.
Hey nice effort on Guitar build ! One thing to consider is "don't reinvent the wheel" nitrocellulose is used on many, many elec & acoustic string instruments. It works and is very smooth if applied right and it's tough.
I'm a player and my elec string instruments see a lot of handling boarder line abuse sometimes so having a durable finish on them is important. You should take Willyous advice also check out some instrument building forums a lot of it can head spin. Also talk to a few small shop Luithers & take there advice. it will probably lead you back to nitrocellulose or some type of film finish.
Good Luck
(01-03-2022, 03:04 PM)Fubble Wrote: Well, my problem is that I have no experience with finishing
Sad  If it's true that any 'film' finish can be made smooth, meaning your skin doesn't catch on it when touching, that is good news.  With lacquer and varnish, if you drag your finger along it, it sticks rather than glides.  I also don't know if a 'film' finish can protect against denting, or which finishes qualify as 'film'.  Thanks for your patience.

Willyou and 2link2 have given good advice.

What sort of denting are you worried about preventing? Even steel guitars can be dented if they are hit hard enough.

A finish can protect against scratches and (to a certain extent) gouges. A penetrating finish can somewhat harden the outer layers of the wood. Eventually, though, the question is whether you are trying to protect a soft wood from being dented with a pick or a hard wood from being dented when it is used like a club on the corner of a speaker.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-31-2021, 10:33 AM)Fubble Wrote: I'm building electric guitar bodies.  I've ruled out lacquer, poly, and nitrocellulose because my priority is a smooth feel.  Would Danish oil have a smooth feel, but still offer some protection?  Is Shellac frictionless to the touch? Any other suggestions?   I'm working with Alder, Basswood, and Poplar.
Thanks

Have not ever built musical instruments - but have built lots of furniture. IMO - you can obtain a very smooth surface with lacquers and varnishes. I prefer Target Coatings products.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/

In particular I should think for your application their EM6000 Lacquer would be a good choice. You should also use a sealer and I think you will have better results spraying the finish vs. brushing.

.pdf   TC_TechDataSheet_EM6000_R3.pdf (Size: 1.7 MB / Downloads: 111)
Try 100% Tung Oil. [Image: detail.jpg?c=1550041226]
Carpe Ductum (Seize the Tape)
There is no obstacle that cannot be overcome with the proper application of High Explosives.
A good and easy finish is Tru-Oil. You can wipe it on, and multiple coats will build nicely to a smooth semi-gloss. If you are careful, late coats can be left to dry without wiping off excess, and will add thickness, protection and gloss. Good luck!