Getting the correct amount of lumber for a job
Let me clarify the point that I know it's best to buy extra and build my own lumber inventory. The caveat is that I'm very short on storage right now. This should be a temporary problem, but a problem nonetheless. Imagine that job that uses some expensive exotic that you've never used before and will probably never use again. You don't want extra around so you buy just enough to cover the inevitable mistake or find a good grain match.

The idea of a small storage locker is a good one. There are a couple of places within a short drive. Thankfully, I do have the operating budget to swing it, assuming there are any available.

On a bit of an aside, I've been calling around to pretty much every millwork and cabinet shop in town asking about getting lumber through them. I'm still waiting to hear back from one of them but I pretty much struck out. Most don't bother selling anything, and the ones that do are more expensive than the sad excuse of the hardwood dealer in town. Speaking of the lumber dealer. I stopped in today to pick up some maple and they had a whopping 10-15 BF on the shelf. It was about 7, sad boards. But of course, they can order some for me, which is fine, I guess. I just don't think it's too much to ask that a hardwood store can fill my 25BF order without having to make two trips. I also called the major dealer, Metro Hardwoods, in my region and they have a $750 minimum order. Hopefully I have that sort of lumber need at some point, but not yet.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/