Washing machine question
I have a 5 year old GE washer dryer one piece combo. Today it started squeaking loudly only while agitating. It is normal during fill and spin operations.

I pulled the agitator, and discovered some plastic missing where the retainer nut attaches to the splined shaft. Not completely broken. I may try putting a washer on top of it to put even pressure all the way around and see if this changes the sound.

My assumption is that this is the root cause. I would also assume that if the main tub bearing were bad, it would squeal when spinning as well. Don't want to have to replace that if I don't have to.

Agitator is available online for around $75 shipped.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(01-04-2022, 06:59 PM)clovishound Wrote: I have a 5 year old GE washer dryer one piece combo. Today it started squeaking loudly only while agitating. It is normal during fill and spin operations.

I pulled the agitator, and discovered some plastic missing where the retainer nut attaches to the splined shaft. Not completely broken. I may try putting a washer on top of it to put even pressure all the way around and see if this changes the sound.

My assumption is that this is the root cause. I would also assume that if the main tub bearing were bad, it would squeal when spinning as well. Don't want to have to replace that if I don't have to.

Agitator is available online for around $75 shipped.

If you really want to get agitated I can send over one of my kids
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks for the offer. Now that I am retired I have fewer people around me that agitate me.
(01-04-2022, 08:15 PM)clovishound Wrote: Thanks for the offer. Now that I am retired I have fewer people around me that agitate me.

People will line up here to agitate you.
Right now I'd settle for them lining up to give good advice on my washing machine.
Well, it's not the agitator. I pulled the agitator today and ran it. Still squeaks and squawks.

I guess I'll need to pull the drum and access the transmission. At first I thought it was the belt. That would have been great. I cleaned the pulley and roughed up the belt a little. Still no joy. Pulley looks good, although there might be something going on with the inside splines. I guess I could just order everything from the pulley up through to the agitator. Not that many parts. I was able to get a few squeaks from it turning the pulley by hand with the belt off. Can't tell where the sound is coming from. It might just be a dry bearing surface.

I did find the sheets of information taped inside a panel. Shows the exploded diagram and instructions on how to remove everything.
Not sure if this applies to your machine, but I recall an issue with dampers/springs/shock absorber system getting seized up with gunk and causing squeaks and noises...
I plan on looking at that today. I doubt that is the issue, but was on my list to check. Been busy with other things this week and plan on taking a look/take it apart today or tomorrow.
I've manipulated the drum by hand, back and forth, side to side. If it were the suspension rods, I would likely hear it squeaking. I will spray them down with lube at the spring assemblies an try it again.
Looked into it today. Best I can tell the issue is in the item called a "washing machine supports". I would call it a transmission, sort of. I has the drive mechanism on the bottom and a bracket that has a plastic case that surrounds the shaft which goes up to the tub. Near as I can tell the noise is coming from this. I also see a lot of oil that looks like gear oil on the drive pulley and plastic gear that engages for the spin operation, as well as this oil in the bottom pan. I'm thinking the "transmission" case started leaking and is failing.

Fortunately, it's not too expensive at just over $100. I think I can get the tube unit out, or failing that, I might even be able to get the unit out with the tub in place. It's amazingly simple inside. I guess that's one of the advantages of an electronic controller vs electromechanical.
Some washing machines have a longer warranty on the transmission...might be worth inquiring...we figured it out when we had unusual grease stains on our clothing...hopefully you have caught it before that happens...