Hardwood Stair Treads
(01-05-2022, 02:48 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Wisconsin code says all stair rises must be within 1/4" of the rest .maximum rise of 8" minimum tread depth of 9". No idea where you live, but might be a good thing to check out your local codes. It is truly amazing how the human brain works. After a step or 2 we know exactly how high to raise our foot for the next step Vary it by just a little and you will stumble.

Yes, that's an international code. Whether your local jurisdiction enforces it is up to them.

Funny you mention safety. New years eave I was coming down the stairs at my brother in law's house. The lighting was dim. I thought I was at the bottom step but I was on the 2nd from the bottom step and thought I was stepping onto landing. So I had about a 16" drop before my foot contacted the landing. Wrenched my back something fierce. Been having bad lower back spasms ever since. Can't even get in or out of a car without colapsing. Been dealing with this for over 40 years. Not often fortunately.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Several things to consider/remember.

The rise of the bottom and top treads will probably not be in code since the stairs were designed for carpet. Work out the fix for those treads before anything else.

Rise and run have to be as equal as possible top to bottom. As much as a half inch difference on one riser can cause a trip hazard.

If you install new walnut treads on old materials, use three screws over each stringer and screw in from the top. Then fabricate plugs from excess tread material and you can make the plugs virtually invisible. I once got a stair overhaul job by guaranteeing the home owner would not be able to see plugs in lightly stained oak treads. She got on her knees to try and failed. Darker plugs are even easier to conceal. Do not use drywall screws. I generally used either coated deck screws or coated square drive screws from McFeelys.

Use light roofing felt or construction paper between the new/old treads, that eliminates squeaks.

I install risers last. That makes the joint between the bottom of the riser and the top of the tread less obvious and less apt to collect dirt/dust.
Where i worked they had a stair to the breakroom and one step in the middle was only 3/16 higher and people would trip on that
I showed a picture of the existing stairs to a trim carpenter I know. He took one look and says based on the size of the nose on the treads, they are 2x10s and will have to be ripped out and replaced. After some more discussion my wife says we are just going to replace the carpet. I am still going to replace the builder grade railings and balusters.

(01-05-2022, 12:18 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: <pictures>
Neat project Snipe..and after seeing particleboard stairs I'm terrified at the thought of the building methods used in the other parts of that house you don't normally see.

Chimney liner is actually aluminum foil - that sort of stuff.

Your house was built when?..20 years ago maybe..when plywood was $30 a sheet? Probably much better materials used in new builds now that it's 2-3x the price ROFL

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.