kitchen hoods - makeup air?
Has anyone put in makeup air kits for the high-cfm kitchen hoods?
If so, where did you draw the air from and how was it introduced to the kitchen?

Matt
Done it many times . Each project is different and depends on a boat load of particulars.

Cfm
Budget
Climate
Building construction
Smart home systems?
New or remodel

Air doesn’t necessarily need to come into the kitchen.
(01-05-2022, 11:08 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Done it many times . Each project is different and depends on a boat load of particulars.

Cfm
Budget
Climate
Building construction
Smart home systems?
New or remodel

Air doesn’t necessarily need to come into the kitchen.

Would you normally have the makeup air coming from ceiling registers or from registers in the cabinet toe-kicks?

In our temperate climate (sfbay area), I'm thinking we would bring air directly in, rather than through the HVAC system.  

The hood can go up to 1200cfm and has 10" ducting.  The manufacturer's makeup air kit has a damper actuated by a low-voltage motor.  This is a remodel of a 1950's ranch house.
In my house, with our high powered range hood, if I need makeup air I open the slider in the kitchen.  That's normally only on a very high flow setting.  For 'normal' range hood stuff, I don't do anything.  It'll suck air in through every little crack and crevice, which isn't a bad thing as it moves air out of all the other rooms so the smoke or stink doesn't get too far.  From the position of the two damper flaps on the outdoor exhaust, it's moving air even at the lowest setting. 

Furnace and water heater are power vented with outdoor air intake, so no worries there, unlike gravity vent units.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-06-2022, 11:09 AM)mdhills Wrote: Would you normally have the makeup air coming from ceiling registers or from registers in the cabinet toe-kicks?

In our temperate climate (sfbay area), I'm thinking we would bring air directly in, rather than through the HVAC system.  

The hood can go up to 1200cfm and has 10" ducting.  The manufacturer's makeup air kit has a damper actuated by a low-voltage motor.  This is a remodel of a 1950's ranch house.

This is what we did. On ours it is integrated into the fan controls. Turn on the exhaust fan and the makeup air damper opens. We have ours pulling through the ERV system, so the air is tempered and not the same as the exterior temp. We need that in the winter, its -18 F this evening. At 1200 cfm the house would be an icebox quickly without the ERV.

It also helps with reducing humidity brought in during the summer.
Thanks.

Interestingly, Matt Risinger had an episode on this topic today:  
(for a 400cfm vent in a sealed home, he added a blower to his intake to get a better pressure balance)

Matt
(01-10-2022, 11:31 PM)Tim in Indiana Wrote: This is what we did. On ours it is integrated into the fan controls. Turn on the exhaust fan and the makeup air damper opens. We have ours pulling through the ERV system, so the air is tempered and not the same as the exterior temp. We need that in the winter, its -18 F this evening. At 1200 cfm the house would be an icebox quickly without the ERV.

It also helps with reducing humidity brought in during the summer.

Thanks ! These are helpful tips for me.