2022 Grizzly Catalog
I think at this point we probably have a thread like this every year BUT holy turd buckets prices have gotten insane especially on stationary machinery. I received my catalog last week and just started thumbing through to look at the tools I either own or that I might be interested in purchasing. Honestly, I have a little bit of "sticker shock". I can't imagine trying to start out in woodworking or needing to reequip my shop with today's prices. I know, this is an old man thread about the good old days when things cost less so have at it. 
Laugh

BTW no dome.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(01-07-2022, 11:47 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I think at this point we probably have a thread like this every year BUT holy turd buckets prices have gotten insane especially on stationary machinery. I received my catalog last week and just started thumbing through to look at the tools I either own or that I might be interested in purchasing. Honestly, I have a little bit of "sticker shock". I can't imagine trying to start out in woodworking or needing to reequip my shop with today's prices. I know, this is an old man thread about the good old days when things cost less so have at it. 
Laugh

BTW no dome.

I thought the same thing with the prices.   Catalog seems to have mostly the stationary machines and very few of the lower priced items and hand tools.  Roly
As a manufacturer, I'd be scared to list prices right now with the idea that they would be good for a year.

I'm sure there's fine print somewhere *pricing and specifications subject to change*
Same here, sticker shock.  My G0636X bandsaw was $2795 in 2021, now it's something like $4115.  I paid $2750 for it 4 or 5 years ago.  Lots of stationary machines are $1000 higher in the new catalog compared to a year ago.  I know the supply chain got turned on its head and companies need to make a reasonable profit, but this seems excessive.  I'm not picking on Grizzly, it's just that their prices are easier to compare year over year because of the nice catalog the issue.  I would think competitive machines must have had similar price increases because most people would be a MiniMax bandsaw if it were priced lower than Grizzly.  

I'll call it all good if the prices go back to reasonable levels after the supply chain gets sorted out in a year or two.  Not holding my breath though.  And like LumberYard said, I'm really happy I don't need any new machines.  The bright spot in all this is that used machines have escalated in value, too, so if you are looking to sell any you should be able to get more now than a year or two ago.   

John
(01-07-2022, 11:47 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I think at this point we probably have a thread like this every year BUT holy turd buckets prices have gotten insane especially on stationary machinery. I received my catalog last week and just started thumbing through to look at the tools I either own or that I might be interested in purchasing. Honestly, I have a little bit of "sticker shock". I can't imagine trying to start out in woodworking or needing to reequip my shop with today's prices. I know, this is an old man thread about the good old days when things cost less so have at it. 
Laugh

BTW no dome.

Its almost like the late 70's and early 1980's again. 
Smirk

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

It's not only supply chain and shipping issues, its also the tariffs which are, in effect, a tax on consumers as they are passed along. Now, if that encourages onshore US manufacturing, I'm all for it. I know that Griz transitioned back to Taiwan based manufacturing for some of its products to lower the tariff burden.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I am as much in shock that they continue to print and mail (cause I can't write s.h.i.p) that catalog...I know it's nothing compared to McMaster-Carr, but still...
(01-07-2022, 02:04 PM)Admiral Wrote: It's not only supply chain and shipping issues, its also the tariffs which are, in effect, a tax on consumers as they are passed along.  Now, if that encourages onshore US manufacturing, I'm all for it.  I know that Griz transitioned back to Taiwan based manufacturing for some of its products to lower the tariff burden.

Yes, there is that, too.  However, the G0636X bandsaw is made in Taiwan, making the $1300 price increase hard to understand.  It's likely wishful thinking that the manufacture of traditional woodworking machines will ever come back to the US; certainly not if cast iron is involved.  But maybe someone will be motivated to follow/one-up Hammer/Felder, et al, and start manufacturing machines with steel and aluminum.  I sure loved my little Inca J/P which was mostly made from pressure cast aluminum parts.    

John
container shipping prices have shot through the roof.  Then you have to wait possibly months for the ship to get unloaded once it reaches port here.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I ran the numbers on my (4) stationary Grizzly machines that were purchased from 2008-2010. The prices have increased anywhere from 2.25 up to 3.25 times the prices I paid for either the same machine or the equivalent model. I think I might need to get ahold of my insurance company to increase my coverages. 
Yes
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP