What brand double sided tape?
I mostly use the thin vinyl 2-sided carpet tape from my local Ace hardware. It can be difficult to remove, but a heat gun will allow it to be removed easily with little or no residue.
I get mine from Hartville Tools. Usually next day shipping. Have no complaints. Better than anything else I've tried.

Tape holds tightly - have to pry two pieces of wood apart - yet easy to remove tape from pieces without any residue. Thin - so no gaps between pieces.

PRODUCT # 12638 DOUBLE STICK TAPE - 1" X 36 YARDS $14.94 (This was in January 2015 - I think nedt roll maybe cost me $15.00 (plus a few cents).

It possibly was a Spectape product but it was too long ago to trust my memory/intuition.

double sided golf grip tape is really good.
You can also try two strips of regular painter's tape - one on each piece.  Then place a few drops of CA glue to hold the tapes together.  This works pretty well.