How thick glass shelve
I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

I originally planned to have a style up the center of the back separating 2 mirrors for additional shelve brackets. The brackets will be on the 4 corners and no style in the front where the 2 doors meet. 

If I use 3/8 thick shelves will the 4 corners offer enough shelve support with no style in the back considering no stacking of china?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Jim
(01-09-2022, 03:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

I originally planned to have a style up the center of the back separating 2 mirrors for additional shelve brackets. The brackets will be on the 4 corners and no style in the front where the 2 doors meet. 

If I use 3/8 thick shelves will the 4 corners offer enough shelve support with no style in the back considering no stacking of china?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Here is a glass calculator  calculator.   
If you go with tempered glass suggest you build the cabinet to standard sizes as it will be a lot cheaper.    Is your V notch cut in the glass shelves ? If it is it may affect the load capacity.  Roly
(01-09-2022, 05:20 PM)Roly Wrote: Here is a glass calculator  calculator.   
If you go with tempered glass suggest you build the cabinet to standard sizes as it will be a lot cheaper.    Is your V notch cut in the glass shelves ? If it is it may affect the load capacity.  Roly

Thanks Roly. I'm thinking if I use tempered 3/8 I won't need the style on the back, going by the calculator each shelve should 68#.

Jim
Jim
What we use for a liquor cabinet is an old china cabinet with similarly sized shelves (almost exactly). They are not thicker than 1/4, and only supported by four shelf pins. Even loaded with bottles, there is minimal deflection in the middle. I would think 3/8" would be more than enough with only edge support.
Sagulator suggests that 45 - 50 pounds is the most that should be loaded on a shelf of that size.

https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-10-2022, 11:44 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Thanks Roly. I'm thinking if I use tempered 3/8 I won't need the style on the back, going by the calculator each shelve should 68#.

Jim

I get 238 lb capacity using 3/8" tempered, with end support only at 3 ft spacing, using that calculator.  I may be doing something wrong, of course.  1/4" yields 70 lb capacity. 

I'm assuming when they say 'capacity', it's a load distributed uniformly across the surface, but you're not going to get many plates across a 3 ft shelf, so those minor concentrated loads should not be a problem.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-11-2022, 08:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: Sagulator suggests that 45 - 50 pounds is the most that should be loaded on a shelf of that size.

https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

This can be increased to 90 pounds if the ends of the shelf is anchored (not adjustable).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I did 3/8" tempered glass for a bathroom linen cabinet,
(01-09-2022, 03:08 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm making a display case that will display china. I'm planning to have a "V" groove on each shelves due to the china will be standing up, none stacked. The shelves will be approx. 14 X 36.

Thanks in advance

Jim

How big are you planning to make the V-groove? How are you planning to make the groove?

Unless you have a good way to deal with the microcracks introduced by that machining, I would suggest doing the strength calculation based on the thinnest part of the shelf under that groove.

Even then, it might be a good idea to use 3 brackets/pins on each end. Otherwise, you are putting all of the weight on the pre-cut to shear the shelf.

I don't recall where you are located. If you are in an earthquake zone, then you might want to add some extra safety margin to the strength calculation.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

Thanks in advance

Jim

BTW, it is spelled "stile"
Dumber than I appear