CBN wheels
(01-10-2022, 07:45 AM)AHill Wrote: "Stumpy" would disagree about the hand tools being a prop.  He claims he owns those planes and uses them.  I don't doubt that he spends more time making content than actually woodworking.  And there's no secret it's a team of folks who gather content and produce the videos.  I've found a lot of his stuff helpful from a power tool perspective.  He doesn't have a lot of hand tool content.

https://stumpynubs.com/the-secrets-hidde...-revealed/

I believe sometime ago, Stumpy said his grandfather or great grandfather had an “old timey” hardware store and that is where his background originated. His father builds many of the projects.

I watch his videos from time to time, but there is not much that is of interest to me.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Quote:As far as Stumpy Nubs goes, I agree with him a lot of the time, But I also don't agree with him. He has some good point a and sometimes I wonder about him but I am sure that is true with all of us.

Tom, SN is not a person. He is a committee, a spokesperson, a puppet. The workshop is a stage set. This is a business that trades on clicks, being paid by these clicks, and probably doing very nicely. There are many like SN, unfortunately increasingly so on YouTube … all posting simple builds, all the same, copying each other, click baiting ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Well I feel deprived that I have never watched Stumpy Nubs before. I did watch some Phillip Lowe videos today which were very informational for me. Also watched a Mary May video in sharpening carving chisels. That video made me realize that my chisels were FUBAR.  Used the 180 grit CBN wheel to regrind them and then oil stones to sharpen them up. Thanks to the CBN wheel, each gouge took maybe 15 minutes to fix.

Now I have some Ball and Claw feet to carve.
Scoony, Phil Lowe was a colossus. Wonderful person, from what I read, and a simply marvellous craftsman. His teaching videos stand as a model for how it should be done. Stumpy Nubs would not know how to begin carving a ball and claw. I would dearly love to see him build a piece of furniture.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Lets give Stumpy Nubs a brake here. 

I started woodworking in 1973 when I bought a Craftsman radial arm saw.  Then I really took of in 1976 when I bought a Shop Smith. I still have a Shop Smith. It is a great machine as a horizontal drill press and disk sander. I I still use it sometimes for a vertical drill press. Is it a good choice for a table saw or lathe?  I don't think so, but that is my opinion, others may think differently

There was  also a love hate relationship with Norm Abrams. I met him a couple of times. I thought he was a really genuine and nice to be around. I watched most all of his shows as did half of America. Did I agree with him on a lot of issues? NO. 

I have watched Phil Lowe carve the ball and claw, but personally I think they are ugly and even with almost 50  years of woodworking I don't have a clue where to start. I really have no interest in carving at all. I watched some of  Phil's other videos and found him to be very skilled and had a great what of passing on the information he had in his head and hands. I believe he has passed on. I enjoyed the videos and I picked up information from them. But his style of wood working and my style are different. I really like Frank Klausz. We both apprenticed, he in wood, I in metal. We were both taught how to do something in a work environment by people who  were on low bidder time.  It was not a school setting. So I understand him and his way of presenting information and it fits in with how I was trained. 

I do not watch Scott Phillips at all, it was like I was stupid and talked down to. The guy on Rough Cut I saw a couple of times. No real interest.

The wife goes to bed around 9:30 and I watch You Tube videos after that. Some of the guys on there I think are just plain goofy. Stumpy Nubs is usually short and to the point which I like. With him and a couple of others, I can watch ( be entertained ) and still get to bed in a reasonable amount if time. I like watching videos because I like working with wood and that is where my interest lies. He gave the recommendations on the different wheels which seemed good to me and I decided to pursue the information. My choice completely. He probably got the information from Woodturners Wonders. Which probably got it from experience with their product and feed back from Clients.

Stumpy Nubs is who he is and what he says is what he says and he has a right to present anything he wants do, in any way that works for him. Watch him or do not watch him that is your choice and your choice alone. You can chose to use some of his information or you can choose to ignore it completely, that is your choice. Whether you feel he is not a good wood worker or not a woodworker at all, is your opinion ( choice). Belittling can come off as self righteous, heaven forbid.  We all have to be careful of that and that is something I have to constantly work on.    

I  have built all the furniture in our house and 3 complete kitchens, one was for a church which used 35 sheets of plywood. Personally I just plain enjoy building work benches. The buck stops here on the choices I made concerning CBN wheels, not because of Stumpy Nubs this is what needs to be purchased.

Tom
Mr Nubbs is a content creator. Not a darn thing wrong will that IMHO. Personally I don't care for his delivery...but there are lots that I don't care for. I don't care for the wood whisperer's  (probably didn't spell it right) delivery either although he seems like a really nice guy. Tim the tool man was a character that many enjoyed so if Mr Nubbs is just that, an entertainment source, for many who like WW content then so what? Plus when you are learning the craft at various stages maybe his content helps someone along. Kinda like Wranglerstar.  I could sit and watch him talk about sharpening an axe all day long. I just appreciate his delivery.  I don't NEED his instruction...but I am entertained.  I just sharpened 3 axes to razor sharp and have the cuts to prove it. :-)

My favorite is Ishitani Furniture and he doesn't speak.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Where I got the information that woodworker tend to like the 80-360 grit wheels and lathe turners seem to prefer 180- 600 grit wheels, I do not remember. I do know it was good solid advise. The same is true ( I think because I haven't tried it yet, so do not know for sure) with the recommendation for 180 - 600 grit for wood turners.

The information that I did not get was that the 180-600 will work for both, thus saving me around $350. The 180-600 combination is a jack of all trades and master of none. Is it the choice for all applications? NO. Can it get the job done Yes. Will it take a little more time? Yes, but how much time does one really spend at the grinder, that 5 extra minutes extra will make a difference in the real scheme of things?

I could have broth the grinder home for the winter, so now I have the cost of another, grinder, grinding wheels and tormek arms that I really didn't need to buy. Lets not confuse wants with needs her, it is a different subject all 
together.  ,

I am writing because I hope this helps someone to hopefully make a more informed decision.

Tom
I am pretty selective on the videos I watch. A few minutes in, If I detect a content creator, I will search out other channels. I like presenters that get to the point. I want to know the "why" behind the technique they are using, but I don't want to put up with presents that just like to listen to themselves talk.

It is like when you search for a recipe online, find one that looks good, but then you have to scroll down through some long drawn out background story about the recipe. I just want to get to the ingredients list, and instructions. I hate having to sort through all the crap and advertisements just to get there.

As to the CBN wheels, I am completely happy with just the 180 grit. I can go to my oil stones and finish the edge very quickly off that wheel. And thats for chisels, plane irons, lathe chisels, etc.
A single 180 grit CBN wheel will perform quite adequately most woodturners. It has for me. If I need a lathe tool sharper than what comes off the 180 wheel, I use a diamond slip stone. For me, that's mostly on skew chisels. I don't use my CBN wheel to grind bench chisels or plane blades. My grinder has the CBN wheel on one side and a stacked paper wheel on the other that's charged with green honing compound. Think of it as a power strop.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well I have the 180 and 600 and now I would rather have the 80 and 180.  I have from my experience seen edges chip off due to the 600 time after time.

When I switched to using only the 180 that problem stopped.  If I need a tool that sharp I would use my power honer I made from 1/4" hide and glued together in 9 layers then use stropping compound to get the edge that sharp.

I might trade someone my 600 for an 80 sometime.

I can not say this fits regular irons or wood chisels since they are shaped different and need the sharpness

Last I tried using a 1/2 chisel on my 600 wheel and I really did not like how it dished out the metal so I will not use them for hand tools anymore
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.