How to drill 5" x 5" holes
Hi folks, long time viewer first time poster.....I recently retired so its time to start on all those honey-do projects.
Saw a TP holder made of what looks to be an old piece of barn wood timber. Looks like it is approximately 5x5x24 .     It has TP roll size holes cut/drilled into it to hold 5 rolls.   They look to be drilled..... Any ideal how I could drill a hole that large and that deep ?   Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd probably use a bandsaw with a narrow blade for those. That wouldn't work for the bottom one unless you cut through the bottom first.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
How about a 5" hole saw. Drill as deep as possible. Chisel out the piece and continue with the hole saw.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Use a hole saw and drill as deep as possible, extend center hole all the way thru with a long twist drill, and then use a hole saw from the opposite side. Then you can use a manual or power saw the cut the perimeter. Might even work with a jig saw with long blade.
I would just carefully bandsaw out the holes then attach sandpaper to the plug and sand the inside smooth.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
(01-09-2022, 07:10 PM)Willie D Wrote: Hi folks, long time viewer first time poster.....I recently retired so its time to start on all those honey-do projects.
Saw a TP holder made of what looks to be an old piece of barn wood timber. Looks like it is approximately 5x5x24 .     It has TP roll size holes cut/drilled into it to hold 5 rolls.   They look to be drilled..... Any ideal how I could drill a hole that large and that deep ?   Thanks

I would drill a pilot hole through the piece and go at it with a hole saw from both sides.  Then again I have a 5" hole saw already
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Amana tool makes 6" long 1/2" diameter router bits.  Pair it with a circle cutter and you have your holes. 

I don't think it pays, however.  The bit costs $120.00.

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-12444-hss1214.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Or start swapping rolls when they're down to about 4". The bits are more common.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"