Question Move shop tools or sell and re buy
I have had quite a few secondhand machines shipped to me from over 500 kilometres away. Spent a lot of time and petrol on day trips to look at secondhand machines and sometimes another trip with a borrowed heavy pickup and trailer to fetch them. Some much needed and very hard to find spare parts have crossed half the Nort American continent and the Antlantic and the greater part of Europe on their way to my workshop.

Your workshop is much more mainstream than mine but still I find it very likely that if you cannot afford to order everything brand new you will spend more time and money to get your new secondhand machines home than you would spend on moving your old ones.
On top of that comes the fact that when one buys a secondhand machine it will usually need a proper rebuild. Your existing machines are probably in working condition already.
On top of that comes the fact that most uf us adapt the way we work to our machines. We learn how to get the best result from what we have. With "new" machines all that must be learned anew.

Pack up everything and move it...... except if there is some machine you want to get rid of anyway.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Just so you know, I rented a 15' U haul for a one way rental over the summer to move about 1500 bf of walnut from Iowa to NJ. 

All in with gas, food and an overnight in a hotel (I was driving by myself, by car its a one day drive, but in the uhaul its 2 days) I would say it cost about $1800. The truck was expensive, especially for a one way move. Contrast that with a 10' local rental in Phoenix recently that cost $200 for 3 days.

They charge a daily fee plus miles on local rental, so renting local and putting 2400 r/t miles will be more expensive than the one way rental (where mileage allowance based on start and finish are calculated in).

So be aware of the cost to move the shop won't be cheap.

(for those wondering, I paid ~$0.25 a bf for the walnut as I vought as logs and had custom sawed, so even at $1800 to move it wasstill a good deal.)
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

there are some tools that I have that I'm not crazy about, but I have them and they work...so I can't really justify buying something different.

But if I was moving, those tools would get sold and I would buy something more to my liking when I get to where I was going.

The rest I would move.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(01-11-2022, 02:48 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: It is dry here for sure.  The elevation change won't be an issue, but the moisture change could be.  Leave it all rough-sawn for several months once you get here.  Hardwood lumber is expensive here.

I would say if you have tools that you really like and are harder to find used, move them.  Also check new prices because they've gone up quite a bit.

Two things I would recommend bringing if you like them are your jointer and drum sander.  8" jointers are hard to find used here.  Good used drum sanders are pretty rare as well.

Some of the more common "construction" type items are easier to find used.  Compressors, slider saws, air cleaners, dust collectors, are easier to find.  If you're hurting for space, it might make sense.  You can hop on marketplace and craigslist for the area to find what is available.  There is a Rockler in Denver and a Woodcraft in Co Springs.

Buena Vista is the target location so anything coming from the front range would be a 200+ mile round trip. I do appreciate the insight and will start watching craigslist and marketplace as a backup plan for needed or possible 2nd hand items. I've been to both the Rockler and Woodcraft in years past so those visits  will be planned ahead with likely a list for numerous retailers such as Costco Home Depot,Lowes,etc etc. I'll likely
 try to befriend some tree services in that area for future bowl blank material.
Thanks for all the replies, I'm well aware of the recent price increases and delays in purchasing new machinery.   My goal will be to move majority of my current shop.  As suggested sell any tools and accessories I'm interested in replacing or have seen little use in the past. Cull short lumber and old hardware and flammables. 
I've already been thinking about a couple of suggested up grades. So at 68 years young selling the PM 66  5hp single phase and getting a Saw Stop could be in play I know it wouldn't be a downgrade and could extend my safety net and enjoyment of the hobby greatly.   I turn mostly bowls and will be watching for a deal on a larger capacity lathe. I know I push the nova lathe to the edge with the swivel head and outboard rest. I will likely be looking for a deal on a larger swing sliding headstock lathe. 
  I have moved this shop once stored it and returned 2 years later. Long story so breaking down machines and resetting them is just a process one must do, not much different than buying new and setting up and tuning up.
Going from under  300 sq ft of space not counting spill over for machines that I keep in other areas of my current basement to, 1000' I'll be in heaven. 

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses you all have confirmed my thoughts that I should move most of my current shop and save some cash doing so. 

Tim
It's a coincidence, but I just finished a move from the midwest to west central Colorado.

And I have/had some of the same tools as you.  I ended up bringing the PM66.  I thought about a Sawstop, but a similarly equipped one was well over $4K.  And the delivery time was 6+months.  So, I moved the PM66 and added an overarm blade guard. I'm glad I did.  

I moved my bandsaw (Nova), router table and my DW735.

I sold my jointer and bandsaw so that I could upgrade.  I also sold my dust collector and upgraded to a Onieda v5000.  I need to get serious about DC, since I have moved into the lower level of the house.

I do a lot of hand tool work, so I moved my workbench, handtools and cabinet.

But I took the opportunity to get rid of things that I didn't use much anymore, like a Dewault SCMS and Delta Q3 scroll saw.  I'm not planning on replacing those.

We had movers do the loading/travel/unloading.  So, I boxed up and disassembled....and then unboxed and reassembled.

Welcome to Colorado.  Maybe I'll see you around!
(01-12-2022, 05:32 PM)camp10 Wrote: It's a coincidence, but I just finished a move from the midwest to west central Colorado.

And I have/had some of the same tools as you.  I ended up bringing the PM66.  I thought about a Sawstop, but a similarly equipped one was well over $4K.  And the delivery time was 6+months.  So, I moved the PM66 and added an overarm blade guard. I'm glad I did.  

I moved my bandsaw (Nova), router table and my DW735.

I sold my jointer and bandsaw so that I could upgrade.  I also sold my dust collector and upgraded to a Onieda v5000.  I need to get serious about DC, since I have moved into the lower level of the house.

I do a lot of hand tool work, so I moved my workbench, handtools and cabinet.

But I took the opportunity to get rid of things that I didn't use much anymore, like a Dewault SCMS and Delta Q3 scroll saw.  I'm not planning on replacing those.

We had movers do the loading/travel/unloading.  So, I boxed up and disassembled....and then unboxed and reassembled.

Welcome to Colorado.  Maybe I'll see you around!
Camp10,
I'll definitely let you know once we get moved.  Pending geographic differences it would be fun meeting up one day. 
Many great suggestions by the way that have convinced me to move the majority of my shop rather than sell and by new or used. These tools I've acquired since the early 90's are in better shape than most I see offered that are only 5-10 years old on the used market. I have several items that I wont be bringing but haven't used much for a long time. I really have no needs just wants.
I think you are getting great advice here, and the re-occuring theme seems to be to move your major tools you really like. I live 2 states north of colo. in Montana, and watch C/L and FB MP daily among others , and finding quality stationary tools is getting harder and harder. I was able to outfit my shop very nicely during the economy slide in 2008-09, there were a lot of good buys during that time, but totally different now. I rarely see any equipment for sale that interests me.
Grizzly has really raised there prices extensively and used equipment values are climbing as well. You dont even see an 8" jointer for sale very often. What I see for sale in our area is craftsman ras, shopsmiths and occasionally a nice dewalt ras, so I would think it would be good advice to leave the craftsman ras behind as you will find a better one.
Hang on to everything you feel you need and move it.
Gordon
(01-13-2022, 04:36 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: I think you are getting great advice here, and the re-occuring theme seems to be to move your major tools you really like. I live 2 states north of colo. in Montana, and watch C/L and FB MP daily among others , and finding quality stationary tools is getting harder and harder. I was able to outfit my shop very nicely during the economy slide in 2008-09, there were a lot of good buys during that time, but totally different now. I rarely see any equipment for sale that interests me.
Grizzly has really raised there prices extensively and used equipment values are climbing as well. You dont even see an 8" jointer for sale very often. What I see for sale in our area is craftsman ras, shopsmiths and occasionally a nice dewalt ras, so I would think it would be good advice to leave the craftsman ras behind as you will find a better one.
Hang on to everything you feel you need and move it.
Gordon

Thanks Gordon I agree and appreciate another person reaffirming what I believed all along.
Tim,

I'm also in the camp of "keep what you really like using and get rid of that which you don't" for all the reasons listed above. Every (stationary) tool in my arsenal took years to acquire, and would likely take years (and higher prices) to replace, especially if I were to move to an area that isn't as rich in arn as my current location (Maryland).
Semper fi,
Brad