Rotary Tool (Dremel)
Does anyone own the Milwaulkee M12 Rotary Tool (Dremel)? What do you think of it? Is it worth the money?
I have one. Mainly use it with a cut-off wheel. It runs smoother than my old dremel plug in and has much more torque. The smaller battery fits very ergonomically in the tool and seems to last forever with intermittent use.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-11-2022, 06:53 PM)KyleD Wrote: I have one. Mainly use it with a cut-off wheel. It runs smoother than my old dremel plug in and has much more torque. The smaller battery fits very ergonomically in the tool and seems to last forever with intermittent use.

Good to know. Thanks. Better torque appeals to me. That's my biggest complaint with the Dremels and knock-offs. I read a comment recently that it has a problem with getting hot and shutting down. Any experience with that? Do you find a need/benefit of having a second battery?
I never run a rotary tool in long sessions.
My uses are cutting nails and bolts down and deburring with a small stone or carbide burr. 
If I need to do any serious grinding I use a pneumatic die grinder.

I am mainly in the Milwaukee 18 volt ecosystem. I only own two M12 tools and two batteries. A rotary tool and a cordless soldering iron. one battery lives in each. both these tools are used intermittently and on the rare occasion the battery in one dies while i am using it I rob the battery out of the other tool. I do not feel the need for more batteries. The need for extra batteries depends on how one uses their tools. I have a cordless angle grinder and use that in longer sessions and couldn't imagine living with only one battery for that.
Thanks for the info. I really like what I'm hearing and reading about this tool, but I'm also struggling with the cost of going into a separate battery system. I currently have two DeWalt battery tools that have served me well for about 10 years. Decision time.
They are costly. I have got many cordless milwaukee deals from Home Depot. They ship to your house for free. They do not run sales but they do run deals where you buy the tool and get a free batteries or by a set of batteries and charger and get the tool free. etc. You just have to watch their website for the deals.
I tried to say just Thanks. But the forum software said that message was to short and it couldn't be posted. So.
Thanks.
Well. For what it's worth, I have not yet purchased anything. What is typical for me, I have not been able to justify the cost for reasonable quality; yet. I decided that, if I was going to replace it, I was going to do so with better quality and power and that, of course, costs money. I then decided that I have nothing to lose but some time in trying to see if I can fix what is wrong with the Black & Decker RTX that I have used, and have been pretty satisfied with, for probably more than 10 years. The nose bearing was getting rough and the motor was more frequently cutting out intermittently. The bearing was easy enough to fix. A local bearing shop was able to match it up and get me one for about $7.
The cutting out problem was a bit more difficult. I opened it up and started tracing the wires and checking connections including the power cord. Small and tedious. I finally determined that it would cut out when I wiggled the small circuit board. Well. This thing is junk. I know nothing about circuit boards. Then I remembered reading a suggestion some years ago about correcting circuit board problems by touching a soldering iron briefly to each soldered connection on the board to "reset" the soldered connection. What have I got to lose? Tried it and it worked!. So. For now, my rotary tool is functional again.