Oak Bookcase
Hi Guys,

I need some opinions on a new project I will be building. It’s an oak bookcase with glass doors. I have a lot of 8/4 oak that I need to start using. My plan is to use these for the 4 posts. The plans call for oak plywood for the panels to which I hate using, plus the price of plywood these days. I have some really nice quarter sawn red oak that would be very stable for the panels and I also can use it for the top, styles and rails for the doors. I have just enough quarter sawn for this project.

My question is how do you think the posts which are flat sawn look next to the quarter sawn? I don’t want to glue up 2 pieces as you can always see where you glue joint is. At least in my experience.

Thanks

Mike
IMO, the quarter sawn would look fine next to the flat sawn posts. Rather than glue face to face to make the posts, you could glue two pieces together mitered edge to edge with a spline to form an "L". The 8/4 edges would be wide enough insert the panels with tongue and groove.

Attached Files Image(s)

I love QSWO, flatsawn not so much
If you have 8/4 flat sawn stock, you could rip it 2" wide and have quarter sawn stock on one face.  If you then glue a slice of quarter sawn veneer on the plain sawn face you will now have quarter sawn on both show faces.  If you put a chamfer on the edges equal to the thickness of the veneer you won't see the glue joint.  

John
(01-11-2022, 08:45 PM)Willyou Wrote: IMO, the quarter sawn would look fine next to the flat sawn posts. Rather than glue face to face to make the posts, you could glue two pieces together mitered edge to edge with a spline to form an "L". The 8/4 edges would be wide enough insert the panels with tongue and groove.

I planned on doing a tongue and grove on the panels. The posts are going to be 1 1/2 X 1 1/2. Your diagram looks like it would be much larger and may not be the look I'm after. I will sit down and draw it up to see how it looks.

Thanks

Mike
I didn't try to draw it to scale, but the faces can be any dimension you want. Using 8/4 lumber and this diagram, your leg will be almost square. jteneyck's suggestion is also good. I've done that too.
(01-13-2022, 04:33 PM)Willyou Wrote: I didn't try to draw it to scale, but the faces can be any dimension you want. Using 8/4 lumber and this diagram, your leg will be almost square. jteneyck's suggestion is also good. I've done that too.

Yea, I'm going to give that a try. It sound like the best solution to give it a more balanced look.