Tablesaw question
I have been considering an upgrade on my table saw. I have a zip code saw and worry about pars should I need them. The easy choice would be a $3000-$3500 Sawstop. I am not sure I will go that deep. I know about Grizzly,Shop Fox and Laguna. What else is out there?I am thinking a hybrid or a 3hp cabinet
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Wow, that's a spread, you can get decent hybird for about 1.8K-2K Grizz, Laguna, Harvey all good but if you have 3K-3.5K I'd grab the SS. But FWIW I bought 2hp hybird (1.6K) and it's got plenty of power, nice fence and very accurate cutting saw. I'm a hobby wood worker if I was using a table saw 5 days a week I'd surely would have spent some more money & went with a 3hp cabinet saw.
Its hard to beat the safety aspects of the SS, especially when you need it.
If you are otherwise happy with your saw why worry about it until you need parts?  But if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket, then I would look for a used cabinet saw.  You'll need a lot more money in your pocket to buy anything comparable that's new.  If it's got to be new, then I would get a Saw Stop or slider.  The Saw Stop saves you if you do something stupid; the slider mostly prevents that occurrence by the way it is used.  

John
(01-16-2022, 07:29 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Its hard to beat the safety aspects of the SS, especially when you need it.

Had a SS PCS since they came out in 2008. Smile every time I turn it on. Probably the last tablesaw you'll buy.

Doug
Get a ss...a pcs or an ics, nothing less. My pal got a mercedes when he retired and pronounced that he deserved it. Unless you still have a loan to repay, you deserve a ss. Save on something else.

It is worth the money even if you never activate that cartridge...just like if the airbags never inflate on you. Anyone who tells you that you dont need the finger saving technology assumes you're infallible. And you know humans are .....

A ss user since 2004/2005.

Oh ..a slider reduces the chances of cutting fingers but people still can get hurt on the slider. The felder pcs and ss are the only saws that prevent serious finger injuries (Bosch's are still sold in Canada only).

Simon
(01-16-2022, 08:44 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you are otherwise happy with your saw why worry about it until you need parts? 
John

That was more or less my first thought. No need to panic if what you have does the job.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-17-2022, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That was more or less my first thought. No need to panic if what you have does the job.

I agree that the potential unavailability of parts shouldn't be the prime motivation to get a new saw. Woodworking is about enjoyment, and anyone who owns a ss (pcs and above) knows the enjoyment they get from the ss. Properly done, it has the best dust collection feature (not to mention its ICS-mobile platform).

Simon
(01-17-2022, 06:22 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That was more or less my first thought. No need to panic if what you have does the job.

If I wait till it breaks, I have to fix it, and will have no saw with an uncertain future of getting it back in commission.I can sell it now, for a profit. I understand the respect for Sawstop. I like them, but they are expensive. I had always allowed that my next saw would be a Unisaw, but we all know what happened there. I appreciate the build quality of sawstop but they are expensive. None of the dozens of tools I have that could lop off a finger include an automatic safety brake and I still have my digits. I think I would rather have a good tablesaw and perhaps a better bandsaw next year than a top of the line tablesaw that will take all my tool money, plus a bit.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
A 3HP PCS is quite a bit cheaper than a Powermatic, roughly the same price as a Jet

The reason I bought one is after 30+ years of ww'ing, I had a close call using a specialty sled and decided at age 65 I don't expect my mental sharpness to get any better.

Buying used machines is an option, but its just like the used car market. The Jet I replaced I bought in 2001 for $1400 & I sold (within 2 hours of posting) for $850. I probably could have easily gotten $1000 for it.

Buy the SawStop. I will not lose much value.