Clearing drain pipes in pond
Interesting Tim.
My clog is at least 16 feet in from the end as I’ve probed the pipes with an extension rod and can’t feel anything.
Seems like this jet rod you mention might also cut through corrugated plastic pipe as well if you weren’t careful?
(01-17-2022, 10:00 PM)Tim in Indiana Wrote: As previously suggested find someone with a jetrod. They are commonly used to clean field tile so asking any tile contractors is the place to start looking. Many tile contractors have a towable unit that can be put right at your outlet. They don't have to be the big suction trucks like pictured above.

I have cleaned field tiles many times with a jetrod. All sizes from 4" up to 20". The high pressure water will cut through just about anything, even a mass of hair roots.

Will it cut through bricks or rocks?

One thing no one has asked yet...

How does the outflow look? do they look like they are flowing well? If so, you might just have in-flow exceeding the available outflow.

In my (apparently much smaller) pond, I have a single 6" overflow. Several times a year, we have rains that exceed the available out flow and overtop the dam. Perhaps, some day, I might put in a spill way. Maybe.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
"several times a year" I'd be putting in a proper spillway. Once every several years....yeah, probably wouldn't get around to that.
How about running a snake in until you hit the obstruction. Figure out where the problem is and then dig down to the pipe and repair it??

When they ran a camera through my footer drain they could see the obstruction and then used a wand to see how deep it was.
(01-18-2022, 11:39 AM)Maddog Wrote: Interesting Tim.
My clog is at least 16 feet in from the end as I’ve probed the pipes with an extension rod and can’t feel anything.
Seems like this jet rod you mention might also cut through corrugated plastic pipe as well if you weren’t careful?

I've never had a problem cutting through the corrugated tile myself. It will cut roots but if they are more than hair roots it doesn't work so well. I've had tile that had finger size roots in it. When this happens we mark the hose, then measure to the clog and dig.

But we always try the jet rod first to avoid digging.
Sorry for my delayed response. Well the 2-6 inch drains have been adequate in the past. But here in the Seattle Puget Sound Area we had a record setting amount of rainfall in December coupled with 6-8 inches of snow that melted off quickly and your point is valid.
We are grateful we had a spillway! It worked.
Wish I could post a picture. It looks like it was built by an ancient civilization using lots of slave labor.
Anyway still have one clogged pipe. Waiting for a new camera cable so I can get a better look at what I'm dealing with before I get to aggressive with this old corrugated plastic pipe.
Had a great idea from a fellow at my local Ace Hardware to use 1/2" PVC pipe to probe and try to clear the pipes.
Nice and flexible and light. I joined 3-20 footers together and cleared one of debris. 20 feet in from the bottom of the other pipe I'm hitting a hard road block I haven't been able to budge. Want to see what is.
Again thanks for all the suggestions!
hook that pvc wand up to a garden hose, (or submersible pump) and you have yourself a low pressure pressure washer of sorts...
Or hook it up to a garden hose, but then cap the other end of it, and drill about a 1/4" hole in the cap. Now you have a slightly higher pressure washer.