Shop Lights
(01-19-2022, 06:40 AM)KyleD Wrote: All the led shop lights we have talked about in this post have electronic drivers. While the actual led components in the lights will last the drivers are the weak link. I hope your experience is better than mine.

I do recommend you check out how the six year guarantee works. Many guarantees are only as good as the company that makes them. If you can exchange any lights that go bad at your local HD great but what happens if they no longer carry that brand a couple years down the road? if you have to deal with some amorphous company over the internet the guarantee may not be worth the paper it is printed on.

I really do hope the lights work out for you. You will like the light they put out.

After a few days I'm still pleased with the two Led lights I converted, especially the "Daylight" version I chose. I will take another look at the warranty. Who knows how long they will last? At least right now, it is cheaper to replace both bulbs with LED's and the included conversion kit, and re-wire the unit myself than to replace a fluorescent ballast. If the company who manufactures the LED lights and conversion kit folds, hopefully someone else will have a replacement.

I do not know what an "electronic driver" is. If that is the weak link, we'll see how it goes with this brand. Not blind faith, but typically products carried by Home Depot have a pretty good quality record, although there are always exceptions. Will report back after some time has passed.

Doug
I love the light the led lights put out. I want to get rid of the miss-mash of lighting in my shop and convert to all new low profile led lamps that put out superior light. It is cheap enough to do. I feel if I do I will have to keep a couple of extra replacement fixtures just like I used to keep extra t-8 fluorescent bulbs. This is still not a $$ breaker as the fixtures are about as cheap as a set of replacement fluorescent bulbs I used to buy.  It just goes against my sensibilities to throw an entire fixture away because of the failure of one small component in it. But hey, at least there would be no mercury going into the landfill.

I guess what i am trying to say Tapper is I am not trying to talk you out of the lights- I am trying to talk myself in to them.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-20-2022, 06:28 AM)KyleD Wrote: I love the light the led lights put out. I want to get rid of the miss-mash of lighting in my shop and convert to all new low profile led lamps that put out superior light. It is cheap enough to do. I feel if I do I will have to keep a couple of extra replacement fixtures just like I used to keep extra t-8 fluorescent bulbs. This is still not a $$ breaker as the fixtures are about as cheap as a set of replacement fluorescent bulbs I used to buy.  It just goes against my sensibilities to throw an entire fixture away because of the failure of one small component in it. But hey, at least there would be no mercury going into the landfill.

I guess what i am trying to say Tapper is I am not trying to talk you out of the lights- I am trying to talk myself in to them.

Sorry, I have no interest in "beating a dead horse" but I'm completely confused. 
Why would you have to throw away "an entire fixture" rather than just converting that fixture to LED with the kit from HD I mentioned??? I used the same body that previously held the fluorescent bulbs, i.e. it was reused in the LED version.

Doug
The main reason for me to go with the new light fixtures over converting the existing fixtures is the new ones only protrude down from the ceiling about an inch and the fact the existing fixtures do not hold the tombstones securely causing the bulbs to be easily knocked out.. The fluorescent fixtures I now have put the level of the bulbs down about 4 inches. I have busted several bulbs over the years trying to maneuver 4 by 8 ply and longer boards around. The 3 inches I would save in maneuvering room are important real estate to me.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-20-2022, 09:59 PM)Tapper Wrote: Sorry, I have no interest in "beating a dead horse" but I'm completely confused. 
Why would you have to throw away "an entire fixture" rather than just converting that fixture to LED with the kit from HD I mentioned??? I used the same body that previously held the fluorescent bulbs, i.e. it was reused in the LED version.

Doug

When I was set to convert the shop lighting from fluorescent to LED fixtures, I waited until I found a good price for new fixtures, replaced the existing fluorescents (some T8 bulb type, some T12) then put an ad on craigslist for free working fluorescent fixtures. The "buyer" seemed happy to get a bunch of free fixtures, and it will be his expense for disposing of the bulbs and ballasts  when they fail.
Just built a new shop and went with Alien LED fixtures similar to this.

[Image: 150W_4_withsensorbasereduced_720xcopy_400x.png]

I will never go back to tubes again. Just make sure they are the right for you ceiling height and use proper spacing.  Almost like daylight inside.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

These look like they would work OK with high ceilings. My 4' two bulb fixtures with the new LED tubes work well in my basement shop's 8' ceiling.

Doug
(01-23-2022, 12:54 AM)Tapper Wrote: These look like they would work OK with high ceilings. My 4' two bulb fixtures with the new LED tubes work well in my basement shop's 8' ceiling.

Doug

They will work fine with 8' as long as you buy units designed with the spread for 8' ceilings.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

How much is the conversion kit from HD? HF has these, https://www.harborfreight.com/5500-lumen...=led+light. Walmart has this one, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-4.../228948937. Don't know how these compare, just thought I'd ask
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The conversion kit from HD is
$19+ which includes two LED 4' tubes and 4 new tombstones with wires attached, and wire nuts for hookup. There are 4 different hues to choose from as far as brightness is concerned. Brightest is 6500 Lumens, very bright.

The ones above from Walmart only go up to 3200 Lumens. HF version might be good if you don't already have the housings. For me the HD conversion made the most sense and so far I'm pleased with the two I've converted.

Doug