painted wall looking more like crackling orange peel
(01-18-2022, 07:43 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Got me to buy flakes from then on.
DNA is illegal in California.  Proly cuts down on the number of people using flakes here.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(01-20-2022, 07:14 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: So I talked to my guy... Something is contaminated. He said the primer is fine but suspects the TSP. It acts like soap and can break down organic and some inorganic compounds. He thinks some was left on the walls and dried. Thinks it broke the adhesion of the primer which released the paint. If they have to wash walls, they use about 1 drop of dish soap in a quart of water using a spray bottle and rinse with clean water. Trying to work fast as to not damage the walls. His recommendation was to sand smooth the bad areas, trying not to damage the drywall paper. He'll use 80 grit on a ROS. Mix fast setting Hot drywall mud mixed thin and skim the area. Sand, PVA primer and repaint.

Thank you!
Snipe and his bud are on the right track , but I’ll add a few more comments and questions.

How much use did the bath get used before this process started?  You said it was “well vented” but do you know what that really means?  How big is the room, how many cfm’s does the fan move, what kind of ducting does it have and is it on a timer or humidity sensor?  Most people (even pros) woefully undersized their bath fans, put them in the wrong locations and don’t let them run long enough. 

sorry for the snarky homily. 

LOML washed the walls - did she remove the cleaning residue completely with water before painting ?
How long were the walls allowed to dry before priming ?

If a heavily used bath and good clean + rinse , then the walls were really wet.  Even if they seemed “dry” to the touch. 

Which BIN did you use?  There’s a “synthetic “ shellac that cleans up with water .  If you used that - there’s your problem. 

Fake BiN Shellac. 
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Corpor...76L4&psc=1

How thick/heavy was the primer put on?  How long was it allowed to dry before the topcoat ?

The alligatoring shown is usually a result of a still wet undercoat (medium) encapsulated by a quick drying topcoat. 

I suspect that your walls were too wet and or contaminated like snipe suggests.  If you used fake BiN,  that made things worse.
(01-21-2022, 10:14 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Snipe and his bud are on the right track , but I’ll add a few more comments and questions.

How much use did the bath get used before this process started?  You said it was “well vented” but do you know what that really means?  How big is the room, how many cfm’s does the fan move, what kind of ducting does it have and is it on a timer or humidity sensor?  Most people (even pros) woefully undersized their bath fans, put them in the wrong locations and don’t let them run long enough. 

sorry for the snarky homily. 

LOML washed the walls - did she remove the cleaning residue completely with water before painting ?
How long were the walls allowed to dry before priming ?

If a heavily used bath and good clean + rinse , then the walls were really wet.  Even if they seemed “dry” to the touch. 

Which BIN did you use?  There’s a “synthetic “ shellac that cleans up with water .  If you used that - there’s your problem. 

Fake BiN Shellac. 
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Corpor...76L4&psc=1

How thick/heavy was the primer put on?  How long was it allowed to dry before the topcoat ?

The alligatoring shown is usually a result of a still wet undercoat (medium) encapsulated by a quick drying topcoat. 

I suspect that your walls were too wet and or contaminated like snipe suggests.  If you used fake BiN,  that made things worse.
Probably right.

Not the fake BIN stuff.

There's a large fan in the ceiling which vents outside the house just a couple feet away, seems to work well to pull the steam out.. this is a master bath. We didn't personally use it much before painting, this is a new to us house. 

The primer went on pretty thin as I recall and was allowed to dry a couple hours at least.

I don't remember the specifics enough about the application, but I suspect you guys are right, either TSP was left behind or a 2nd coat before something was fully dried. LOML may have done a 2nd coat too soon, I can't say for sure. 

thanks!