veneering over plywood rather than MDF?
More supply chain woes, I can't locate any 1/2" MDF for a veneering project.

Would I be safe using a 1/2" birch plywood?
(01-20-2022, 05:12 PM)mound Wrote: More supply chain woes, I can't locate any 1/2" MDF for a veneering project.

I prefer Baltic birch but I have used regular birch when I needed something longer than the 5' Baltic birch typically available to me.  I veneered both sides, as usual, and had no troubles.  Those pieces are over 6 years old now and I've heard of no issues.  As long as the top veneer sheet of the plywood is well bonded you should be fine.   

John
(01-20-2022, 05:19 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I prefer Baltic birch but I have used regular birch when I needed something longer than the 5' Baltic birch typically available to me.  I veneered both sides, as usual, and had no troubles.  Those pieces are over 6 years old now and I've heard of no issues.  As long as the top veneer sheet of the plywood is well bonded you should be fine.   

John

Great thanks!
(01-21-2022, 06:40 AM)mound Wrote: Great thanks!

baltic birch plywood is great as a substrate
jerry
(01-20-2022, 05:12 PM)mound Wrote: More supply chain woes, I can't locate any 1/2" MDF for a veneering project.

If you have a Menards close check with them, my store has 48 4x8 sheets of 1/2" mdf.    Also check with a hardwood supplier as they normally stock it.  Roly
(01-21-2022, 10:42 AM)Roly Wrote: If you have a Menards close check with them, my store has 48 4x8 sheets of 1/2" mdf.    Also check with a hardwood supplier as they normally stock it.  Roly

Yah my local hardwood supplier is completely out and had no ETA. 

I don't have Menards nearby but on that thought I tried calling 84 Lumber (where I'd normally go get construction type lumber) and they have a good selection of widths in stock!