Blue Spruce seconds mallets
Dicounted due to end grain checking

Their email:

[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=TimesNewRoman, "Times New Roman", Times, Baskerville, Georgia, serif]A few weeks ago, we decided to cancel all orders for the Limited Run of Lignum Vitae Mallets. As we began turning the mallet heads, cosmetic checking started to appear in the end grain. Blue Spruce prides itself on producing only top-shelf products and we aren’t interested in taking short cuts or delivering anything less than our best.

That being said, we heard from a substantial number of customers who still wanted one of these unique mallets, despite the end-grain checking. Given that these mallets were not going to see the light of day anyway, we have decided to offer the best of the bunch at a much lower price…$119.99. We will still stand behind these tools 100%. If the head ever breaks…ever…we will refund your purchase price. For what it’s worth, forty blows on a 3/4" chisel into white oak didn’t even dent the mallet head let alone cause any mechanical failure along any of the checks.[/font]

[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.espssl.c...U.darQ--~D]
[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.espssl.c...qGcOPA--~D]
[font=TimesNewRoman, "Times New Roman", Times, Baskerville, Georgia, serif]Keep in mind the mallet you receive will have checking primarily in the end grain. The photos above represent what you can expect. Yours may be slightly better or about as pictured. The mallet will still be machined to perfection, polished and engraved with the Blue Spruce logo. They just won’t be as perfect as we’d like them to be. Wish we had more control over how trees grow.

If you are interested in ordering one, keep in mind we don’t have anywhere near the quantity we originally set out to produce so it’s first come, first served. Thanks for your understanding.
[/font]
[/font]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(01-21-2022, 12:40 PM)Aram Wrote: Dicounted due to end grain checking

Their email:

[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=TimesNewRoman, "Times New Roman", Times, Baskerville, Georgia, serif]A few weeks ago, we decided to cancel all orders for the Limited Run of Lignum Vitae Mallets. As we began turning the mallet heads, cosmetic checking started to appear in the end grain. Blue Spruce prides itself on producing only top-shelf products and we aren’t interested in taking short cuts or delivering anything less than our best.

That being said, we heard from a substantial number of customers who still wanted one of these unique mallets, despite the end-grain checking. Given that these mallets were not going to see the light of day anyway, we have decided to offer the best of the bunch at a much lower price…$119.99. We will still stand behind these tools 100%. If the head ever breaks…ever…we will refund your purchase price. For what it’s worth, forty blows on a 3/4" chisel into white oak didn’t even dent the mallet head let alone cause any mechanical failure along any of the checks.[/font]

[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.espssl.c...U.darQ--~D]
[Image: mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.espssl.c...qGcOPA--~D]
[font=TimesNewRoman, "Times New Roman", Times, Baskerville, Georgia, serif]Keep in mind the mallet you receive will have checking primarily in the end grain. The photos above represent what you can expect. Yours may be slightly better or about as pictured. The mallet will still be machined to perfection, polished and engraved with the Blue Spruce logo. They just won’t be as perfect as we’d like them to be. Wish we had more control over how trees grow.

If you are interested in ordering one, keep in mind we don’t have anywhere near the quantity we originally set out to produce so it’s first come, first served. Thanks for your understanding.
[/font]
[/font]

They already show as sold out on the Blue Spruce Site. Not being familiar with these, and unable to find them on their site, what was the undamaged price?
Originally $169. Incidentally, I bought one and it arrived the other day and I can’t find a single check or crack on it. Very pleased with it, especially at a $50 discount.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Good for you. I find some boutique tools too nice to hit or to be hit, so I avoid them as a user.

Simon
I have one of his other mallets. it's beautiful but built like a tank.

You don't have to baby it at all.