What are your favorite hand
I'm surprised that none owns ( I dont but I know one or two who do) and mentions the Krenov plane!

If I owned one, I'd pick it over my LAJ.

Simon
My favorites are my shop made tools.

For some reason I can’t upload the photo, but they include some Krenov-style planes, Gramercy bow saws, a marking gauge, a crosscut saw, some re-handled saws, and a shoulder plane.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(01-22-2022, 04:55 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Favorite tools?
Striking knife - just like it. Like the way it looks. My saws same. Cool looking tools.
Sculptural tools, tools that present risk or do cool stuff:- draw knife, hatchet, not good at it, but carving tools. These are always exciting for me to use. Chisels less so but close seconds.
Tools that are fun to operate - dadoes, moving fillester, my drawer bottom plow or mini plow, hollows and rounds, and center bits and shell bits - much nicer than augers, which I think tear stuff up. Complex molders less so due to pesky fences.

Least fun: Foot adz, cross cut timber saw, veneer saw (hard and boring at the same time).

I do not remember who but someone gave me one several years ago and I have it close to hand for turning and flat work.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I've been thinking about this question.  Sure, there are a lot of hand tools that I love very much.
But there is only really one, that would haunt me, if it got lost.

It's nothing special.  An old six inch Millers Falls combination square with a miter attachment.
The attachment lives in the Dutch Tool Chest, while the square itself is in a pocket of my shop apron.
Practically speaking, it is used on almost every project I make in the shop.

It was my fathers.  Every time I use it, he is right there with me.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Fireplace. 

Otherwise a type 11 (I think, I forget and care less and less each year to make the effort to remember types) #4. Once I learned how chipbreakers are set up supposed to work I've been extremely impressed with this plane's performance. It has an O1 Hock iron and chipbreaker because at the time I got it, the iron was dogmeat with so much pitting anyway.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
So many I like, but which are my favorite? I always have a folding wooden rule with me. I always have my LN 102 block plane nearby. I always have my Starrett 6" combination square at hand. I should mention my Washita oilstone. Might add some more later this evening!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I would say my Blue Spruce marking knife, simply because my wife got it for me for Christmas and was the first time she actually got me something nice for the bench, that wasn't some gimmicky thing.  Its a joy to use.

Secondly my LN 60 1/2 Rabbet Block Plane - probably because I tend to grab it often and it usually does exactly what I ask of it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I can't pick just one.

Wenzloff crosscut saw. The handle is expertly finished and it taught me what a sharp saw should cut like.

Nishiki paring chisel. Again, sharp beyond belief and it just feels right in the hand.

Lee Valley Low Angle Jack. So versatile with different blades honed at different angles. And I really don't care if someone tells me I can set up a vintage Stanley to accomplish the same task just by adjusting the chipbreaker a certain way.

Lie-Nielsen No. 102 Low Angle Block Plane. Super handy to trim small items, relieve sharp edges. Just feels right in the hand. And it's bronze so the body doesn't rust.

Starrett squares - I have the 12" combo and an additional 18" ruler, a 6" double square, and 4" double square, and 2" double square. Super accurate. I check square of any other item with those squares.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My often-used and favorite tool is a vintage pair of dial calipers. I use them several times a day for a variety of tasks from measuring the tooth set on saws to measuring the diameter of screws. It is easily 30 years old and is as accurate as when I first got it.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Years ago, a similar question was posed...What is the last tool you would give up?
Hands down...my work bench.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood