What are your favorite hand
Favourite Tool?   The one I have in my hands.   The ones I am using at the moment....as long as it does the job I require it to do.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Well unlike some of you guys with nice benches I do not have one but would love to have a nice one with good vises.  I make do with an old metal table I purchesed at a military sale for $5 and it is on wheels which is needed in a small shop.

I use i for an outfeed table for the BS and assembling and general things like gluing and whatever on it.  Several years ago I started gluing up a wooden top of Qsawn red oak and walnut and finally got it on the top just need to screw it down underneath to keep it secure better..

I will take a picture of it as soon as I go back out.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Recently, I really like both a Marples #5 and wooden jack plane, both set up similarly with cambered blades-I like the way they hog wood and leave a bit of a scallop.  I also like both a heavy duty fish tail gouge and travisher that I just made.  Interestingly, I'd say my overall favorite hand tool is classic round point shovel.  I didn't realize how they are all similar until I sat down and wrote this.  But I"ll concur with Bandit, above, that it's the one that's getting the job done...
Since I am primarily a tailed tool guy (am i allowed to post here?), I would have to say a well tuned scraper. Both a simple one and the Veritas Stanley 80 type one. They works great for leveling joints and removing glue and burn marks before sanding.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-22-2022, 01:41 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: tools and why?

For me it is the #3 plane which I use alot in making the finish smooth and my shoulder plane that Rob Lee gave me to do the edges of rabbited areas which were did not come out to smooth.

No pictures yet until I borrow my daughters camera.

Should also mention someone gave me a #3 woodriver plane and I have a stanly #3 which I like alot.

I would add a 1/2 chisel but do not use it much.
Any tool made by Starrett or Brown and Sharpe..as long as it is the smallest of its type. Primarily layout tools. But I also like tools that I have made.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-28-2022, 09:19 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: But I also like tools that I have made.

That's the problem for me. Tools I've made are too nice to use!!! To resolve the attachment issue, I came up with a solution: whenever I make a fine tool for myself, I make not just one, but at least two or three, so one of them stays in its finest condition.

Simon
(01-28-2022, 12:39 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That's the problem for me. Tools I've made are too nice to use!!! To resolve the attachment issue, I came up with a solution: whenever I make a fine tool for myself, I make not just one, but at least two or three, so one of them stays in its finest condition.

Simon

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
LN 5 1/2 plane. It was my retirement gift given to me by the wardroom. I use it on every project I make.
LN 60 1/2R block plane. It was an anniversary present from my wife. I also use it on every project I make.