Trestle table build thread
Several months ago I was commissioned to build a table in trade for a set of slightly used front loading washer and dryer.  I'm far enough into it now to start getting excited about it, as it's the biggest, most complicated, and most expensive thing I've ever built.  "Customer" is a friend, and is in no rush for it, so she doesn't mind that so many things have bumped it down the road several times.

Materials:  Red oak, glue, oil stain and poly.

Build is based on the video series by Third Coast Craftsman on YouTube, along with the plans he sells.

Video series:  https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxIGN...b6uXDyiuBu

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

I've never cut angled tenons before and really struggled with this.  I ended up cutting them with my Incra miter gauge, but learned a week after I did them how to make a jig that slides along the TS fence that will cut them MUCH easier and faster.  Probably more accurately, too.  When/If I build another, I'll go that route.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

This was also my first attempt at large mortises.  I removed the waste with a router and edge guide and then did a hack job of cleaning up the sides with a bench mortise chisel.  I learned later (notice a trend here?) that a proper set of mortise chisels would have made this cleaner, less stressful, and a lot faster, even when pounding them out by hand.  So, of course, I asked for a set for Christmas and will use them on my next M&T build.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Despite my best efforts at failure, all the joints fit together!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

All joinery is draw bore M&T.  Unfortunately I didn't get an pics of it with the leg assemblies, but did take some pics of it when installing the trestle between them.  Had some panicky moments and some emergencies from poor planning, but it did work and I learned some tricks for the next time I use them.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

The top stretchers are attached with mortised dove tails.  Again, another first for me.  Not perfect, but serviceable, and will be hidden once the top is installed.  Process was to (poorly) cut the DT's on the bandsaw (learned that I need to make a jig for straighter cuts), cut a rabbet on the back of the DT's, trace those onto the leg assembly, cut the mortice, and then tap the stretcher into place.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Looking good! Keep us posted
That's where it sits now. Tonight I'll put in the second stretcher and then finish staining the assembled base and start applying oil poly. After several coats, I'll move it into my basement while I begin the breadboard top construction.
Semper fi,
Brad

It is looking great. Sure is a comfort to know others struggle at times with things like bench chisels in lieu of the right tool, at least I'm not alone in the world!

Please keep updating as you progress.
Looking good: Keep up the great work!