Trestle table build thread
Beautiful table, and thanks for the build-along showing your craftsmanship.
When I see the illustration with the breadboard ends, it shows pegs holding the top down. How will that allow for seasonal wood movement? —Peter
(02-28-2022, 11:25 AM)Petertaylor Wrote: Beautiful table, and thanks for the build-along showing your craftsmanship. 
When I see the illustration with the breadboard ends, it shows pegs holding the top down. How will that allow for seasonal wood movement?  —Peter

The center peg is glued.  The two outer are glued ONLY to the bread board end.  The center of each peg floats in an elongated hole in the tenon from the table top that's hidden in a groove cut into the bread board end. 

The shoulders of the tenon inside are trimmed about 1/2" on each side, allowing them to conteact and expand inside, while staying flat. 

This might help explain better:  https://youtu.be/TFn7JZmyFqk
Semper fi,
Brad

I've been following your progress and a very solid design and good craftsmanship are clearly evident.
The good craftsmanship from the *designer* is evident!

I've just been bumbling my way through this one!

If I get a chance to build another one...well THAT one won't have all the same mistakes this one has.

But seriously, thanks. I appreciate it and am actually really proud of this so far.
Semper fi,
Brad

If the woodworking gods smile upon me, this will be the final sanding and coat of finish (cut about 65%).

Boring videos, but progress. 

https://youtu.be/HtELposuniA

https://youtu.be/IXKfH9M8ihc
Semper fi,
Brad

I got the base done and out of the shop so I can concentrate on the top. 

Yay!

One board started splitting as I was milling it. 

Boo!

I marked it to see whether it grows over night.  Looks like I'll teach myself to inlay a Dutchman or three on this table.   Customer told me when I started that if needed that was perfectly fine. 

Yay!

I did find a surprising amount of curl in the boards that will be really pretty. 

Yay!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Ive really enjoyed following your journey on this table.  Looks great
One of the two wide boards for the top developed a 35" long split as I planed it to thickness, so I reached out to the customer and asked whether I should rip the board to remove the flaw or keep it and put in Dutchmen.  She chose the latter and I was terrified as I set out to inlay them...this was my first attempt. 

It actually worked!  A couple of imperfections but nothing that glue and sanding didn't hide.  Sapele, walnut, and curly maple.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

From here, looks like you did a nice job.  I've done a few; I have a 3 lb. sledge always "in the ready".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
The top is glued up.  As it sits it weighs 130.5#. I need to trim the ends square and then build the bread board ends, which will make it even heavier.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad