Do I Need Plywood?
I'm looking to make a few jigs. One of them is a plan I got from WoodSmith for a Router Mortising jig. The price of Baltic Birch is out of site. I live in a 55+ with a wood shop that sells wood/plywood. the Russian birch which is OK at best is $190 for a 4 X 8 sheet 3/4 inch and the 5 X 5 is $169. So, I can get ash and maple at a really good price. Any issues making this out of solid wood? I know plywood is more stable. 

Thanks

Mike
Is this the jig to which you refer? If so, I'd sure try to stay with plywood, a few of those pieces are large enough that wood movement might throw thngs off a bit.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-24-2022, 11:38 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I'm looking to make a few jigs. One of them is a plan I got from WoodSmith for a Router Mortising jig. The price of Baltic Birch is out of site. I live in a 55+ with a wood shop that sells wood/plywood. the Russian birch which is OK at best is $190 for a 4 X 8 sheet 3/4 inch and the 5 X 5 is $169. So, I can get ash and maple at a really good price. Any issues making this out of solid wood? I know plywood is more stable. 

Thanks

Mike

Woah, those prices are ridiculous; find another source for your wood.  I just paid $83 for 3/4" x 5 x 5 Baltic birch.  Even ordering it from Rockler is likely cheaper per square foot.  

In any case, what Fred said - use plywood.  FWIW, I've built a lot of jigs with lesser plywood than Baltic birch.  

John
(01-24-2022, 11:48 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Is this the jig to which you refer? If so, I'd sure try to stay with plywood, a few of those pieces are large enough that wood movement might throw thngs off a bit.

Yup, that's the one. OK, I have no way of bringing home full sheets of plywood. The shop where I live has a panel saw so I can cut it up to fit in my SUV. Many of the lumber stores don't offer cutting. The crap at Lowes and Home Depot is not very good either. Buying it from Amazon or Rockler you get cut up pieces so you have to make them work, same with Woodcraft. Plus, with shipping I'm better off buying the 4 X 8 sheet. 

Thanks

Mike
I don't know why everyone thinks jigs must be made out of 3/4" ply. Many of my jigs were made using 1/2" materials, such as my cross cut sled......lighter, easier to move around and just as stable and accurate.

Can you make the mortising jig out of 1/2" ply, or at least some parts out of 1/2", if you can't find cheaper source?

I suppose mdf is equally expensive but I'd certainly avoid solid wood.

Simon
(01-24-2022, 03:18 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't know why everyone thinks jigs must be made out of 3/4" ply. Many of my jigs were made using 1/2" materials, such as my cross cut sled......lighter, easier to move around and just as stable and accurate.

Can you make the mortising jig out of 1/2" ply, or at least some parts out of 1/2", if you can't find cheaper source?

I suppose mdf is equally expensive but I'd certainly avoid solid wood.

Simon

I agree with you on the 1/2". I made my sled out of 1/2" and it works fine. I'm just going by the plans. 

The 1/2" is $120 a sheet. MDF 3/4 is $73. Like I said above I can't load a 4 X 8 into my SUV so unless the place can cut it down I'm out of luck. I'm not a fan of MDF except for making pattern jigs. I can get maple ply for about $99 but I like the baltic because of the # of ply's. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
Here, we get the first two or three cuts free of charge, then $1 for each additional cut. But some offer free cuts regardless.

Agreed, mdf is not the ideal material, and the dust part is pretty bad.

Simon
(01-24-2022, 06:13 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Here, we get the first two or three cuts free of charge, then $1 for each additional cut. But some offer free cuts regardless.

Agreed, mdf is not the ideal material, and the dust part is pretty bad.

Simon

Same here Simon; HD and Lowes will make 2 or 3 cuts for free, then $1 for each additional.  

OP, where there's a will there's a way, and saving about $80/sheet provides all the incentive I would need.  

John
Where I work, we make dovetail drawer boxes on the CNC out of 1/2" baltic birch. we don't save decent size scraps. If you send me a private message with the dimensions and quantity of what you need, I may be able to acquire the parts you need for free (it will go in the landfill otherwise). We can deal with the shipping after the sizes are acquired.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Many of the home depot stores (others too, I imagine) will rent trucks by the hour. It's very affordable. I rented one about a year ago and it was only about $30 plus replacing the gas I used. (Had it about an hour, maybe 45 minutes?) If your SUV can not fit a full sheet of plywood, it might be worth it to rent one of those trucks if you need 2 or 3 sheets.