Do I Need Plywood?
(01-24-2022, 08:08 PM)museumguy Wrote: Where I work, we make dovetail drawer boxes on the CNC out of 1/2" baltic birch. we don't save decent size scraps. If you send me a private message with the dimensions and quantity of what you need, I may be able to acquire the parts you need for free (it will go in the landfill otherwise). We can deal with the shipping after the sizes are acquired.

This sounds like a winner.

But decades ago, when I had to transport stuff in a 2-door '75 Nova,  I took my saw with me and broke it down in the parking lot.  
With cordless tools it should be a snap.
 I took my saw with me and broke it down in the parking lot.  
Now there is a smart fella!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-24-2022, 08:08 PM)museumguy Wrote: Where I work, we make dovetail drawer boxes on the CNC out of 1/2" baltic birch. we don't save decent size scraps. If you send me a private message with the dimensions and quantity of what you need, I may be able to acquire the parts you need for free (it will go in the landfill otherwise). We can deal with the shipping after the sizes are acquired.

Thanks for the offer. I need 3/4" as I'm doing several jigs/carts so I need a full sheet. I've received some good suggestions here that might work. Thanks again for the offer.

Mike
(01-25-2022, 08:56 AM)Bill Holt Wrote:  I took my saw with me and broke it down in the parking lot.  
Now there is a smart fella!!!

Yea, when I was young and had a strong back that would not be a problem. At 67 and numerous bulging discs, strained hamstrings I need to take the easy route! 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
(01-24-2022, 11:38 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I'm looking to make a few jigs. One of them is a plan I got from WoodSmith for a Router Mortising jig. The price of Baltic Birch is out of site. I live in a 55+ with a wood shop that sells wood/plywood. the Russian birch which is OK at best is $190 for a 4 X 8 sheet 3/4 inch and the 5 X 5 is $169. So, I can get ash and maple at a really good price. Any issues making this out of solid wood? I know plywood is more stable. 

Thanks

Mike

You might want to check craigslist in "materials".  Today I found a listing for 16 4X8 sheets of 1/2" plywood for $8/sheet.  I've also found solid surface/countertop material for decent price. 
As for transport of full sheets, perhaps find a friend with a pickup or even a minivan to help. When I still had a pickup truck I hauled quite a few items for friends, typical charge for local hauling was a case of beer.
You're not too far from Rockler in Charleston. A short trip up there and you can buy a smaller sheet which will be plenty for your jig. Their BB is pretty decent quality. A 24x30" piece of 3/4" thick BB is $40.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-27-2022, 01:26 PM)AHill Wrote: You're not too far from Rockler in Charleston.  A short trip up there and you can buy a smaller sheet which will be plenty for your jig.  Their BB is pretty decent quality.  A 24x30" piece of 3/4" thick BB is $40.

That's a Northern Tool. I don't see any wood products on their site. Next time I go to Jacksonville, Woodcraft has a store there. 

Thanks

Mike
I use plywood; but I use regular plywood like sanded BCX.  I can't see paying for the BB ply.

Many jigs are sized small enough that it's easy to get a flat piece and one that will stay flat using sanded BCX ply.  

If I'm building a sled, I'll use particle board or MDF.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Another thought. Where I work, it's a like a scaled down version of Lowe's. We also have a full custom millwork shop, which is where I work. We routinely sell plywood, laminate and hardware to customers. If someone asked, we'd gladly cut a sheet of ply for them, no charge. Maybe you can find a similar place near you.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry