High Heat Adhesive?
My fireplace has a piece 4” sheet metal as a smoke guard. It was nailed into the brick from the inside, but the brick on one side broke and that side is hanging. I’m concerned that if I try to drill another Hoke, I’ll just make the problem worse with more broken brick. (I can prop it up against the side of the opening, but it keeps falling and I’m worried the brick on the other side will break. ).

A local fireplace installer suggested high-heat silicon adhesive. All I’ve been able to find is high heat silicon sealant, which has a long drying time. I don’t have any way to clamp the guard up for the necessary time.

Is there another product I can use? I can’t find anything designated high heat silicon adhesive. Maybe a quick setting epoxy?

A picture would help, but assuming this has to go on the inside of the firebox, A length of 2x4 cut to to slightly longer than the width of the firebox opening and tapped into place makes a great clamp. If you need to clamp a long/wide section nail a sheet of ply or another 2x4 to the end of it.

Can you drill out the existing hole and use concrete to hold the bolt in place?

Most organic adhesives fail above 200 degrees and the inorganic above 300 degrees.  Solder can be had to melt at 900 degrees (but most melt before that).

Aluminum might be the best bet. It melts at about 1,200 degrees F.  You can melt it with a torch and use it to anchor a bolt.

But as mentioned above, a photo will help a great deal.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The silicon sealant said it was good to 500*.
I’ll try to post a picture later. Thanks.

JB Weld makes an epoxy that is rated to 500 degrees. It's made for metal, but may work for brick as well. Might be worth looking at.

They also make this product that is rated to 1000 degrees. The uses listed are mainly metal, but also mentions fireplaces.

jb Weld Extreme Heat
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Can't you just replace the brick with new mortar and start fresh?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If you have broken brick and missing mortar in the firebox you should have it repaired.  Simple as that.  

John
I can't remember the name of it, but the woodstove gasket adhesive was rated for 900 degrees, IIRC.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(01-24-2022, 07:19 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you have broken brick and missing mortar in the firebox you should have it repaired.  Simple as that.  

John

+1 , if any ember can sneak in the crack you may have a fire in the wall.   Roly
There's right ways to fix everything. Then there's glue. Do it wrong once, you wind up doing it twice anyway.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay