What glue for joinery?
In addition to enough clamps, I always try to alternate the side of the glue-up on which the clamps are located and tighten them up gradually and alternately, not unlike tightening lug nuts on a wheel...
(01-25-2022, 12:40 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: There's always the alternative of DAP plastic resin glue.  Its more watery than the PVA (titebond, etc) and is very slow setting.  Its also an annoyance to mix and fool around with, but clearly worth the hassle.  It has to stay under clamp pressure for at least 24 hours.

Not anymore Bob.  DAP Plastic Resin Glue is no longer manufactured.  I contacted the company last week after not being able to find it for sale anywhere, and was told it has not been manufactured for several years.  There must have been a really large warehouse of the stuff somewhere; I'm sure I bought some within the last two years.  

There are alternatives, though.  I went with Unibond 800 which is even thinner than PRG, has a long open time, and cures very hard.  It's a liquid to which you add a powdered catalyst.  The closest product to PRG is probably Ultra CAT.  It's the same one part powder system as PRG, to which you add water to catalyze it.  All these products require at least 70F to cure and have a shelf life of about 12 months.  None are as convenient as glue in the bottle, but they do have advantages that make them worth the extra work for some applications.  I use them for gluing shop sawn veneer where the rigid glue line prevents seams from opening up.  I also use them for bent laminations, again for the rigid glue line which limits spring back.  All are exterior rated, too.
(01-25-2022, 03:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not anymore Bob.  DAP Plastic Resin Glue is no longer manufactured. 

Well phooey!
I see eBay has Cascamite.  That's pretty much the same thing.   I'm glad I've got a tub of DAP.  I'll have to go sparingly from now on.  The poly glue gives about the same performance but the clamping pressure needed to get that tight joint is pretty high, much worse than Titebond.

Below clamping up some blanks for mallet turning.