Planer downsizing
Have a Jet 20" straight blade PLANER with mobile base.

I want to upgrade (downgrade?) to a 15" helical.

Reasons?  A bit large for my shop and the helix head.

Griz, Jet or Powermatic.  Which one?
Arnie
Planer? 1717171717
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(01-25-2022, 08:07 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Planer? 1717171717

good grief.  
Laugh

I'm glad there's a few around that can translate Eastern Oregon Hick.
Arnie
I would weigh out your choices replacing the 20 straight head with a 20" spiral head against the 15" . because that 15" planer isn't that much smaller footprint , but you will miss that 5" of head space when you run into a wide project.
I know I would.
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(01-25-2022, 10:33 PM)Woodshop Wrote: I would weigh out your choices replacing the 20 straight head with a 20" spiral head against the 15" . because that 15" planer isn't that much smaller footprint , but you will miss that 5" of head space when you run into a wide project.
I know I would.
Yes

Good point.  
Yes
Arnie
If it was me, I would upgrade the Jet with a new helix head.  At $1200-ish for a new head versus a minimum of $3K for a new 15" with helix head, keeping the added capacity looks like the best choice.  Plus, I'd still have a planer capability while waiting for the helix head upgrade to arrive.  No telling if a new planer is in stock.

I just upgraded from my old Delta 12 1/2 inch benchtop to a used Powermatic 15" with straight knives.  Working on my scheme now about how to get that Byrd head to upgrade the unit.  Maybe I'll raid my boat money stash.  Brave words on a frozen winter morning!  
Laugh
Laugh
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
After looking at the current retail pricing from Grizzly a new 20" planer with standard cutterhead is $3500ish which probably means your Jet is worth $1500-$2000 on the used market. A new 15" spiral head 15" planer is just under $3500. So my guess is that your swap to the smaller planer with better cutterhead is going to cost you around $1500? Instead, for around $1000, you can just buy a spiral cutterhead for your 20" and install it.

HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I am with R Clark, I would replace the cutter head. I have a 15" Byrd head in my planer. I am serious about getting a 20" Grizzly planer. The past couple years I have needed to plane quite a few panels that were just over 15" wide. I have both the Grizzly and Byrd cutter heads, hard to tell the difference. The byrd head is a little better when there is a grain change or cutting figured woods.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(01-26-2022, 11:41 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: A new 15" spiral head 15" planer is just under $3500. 
HTH

Your numbers closely match the Woodcraft quote they gave me when I was at Boise yesterday.

I about lost my lunch.  My Jet 20" planer cost me $1,400 new about 12 years ago.  I'm living in the dark ages. 
Crazy
Arnie
If you have been using the planner for 12 years, and it has done a good job for you up until now, is a $1,000 plus upgrade really worth it? Someone wrote that you present planner is worth about $1500- to $2000 on the used market. If you spend another $1000 you are close to new price and it won't hold that price on the used market. I sharpen my own blades and change blades about once a year in my 13 inch planner and I haven't changed my blades in the 15 inch in 3 years. I would put fresh knives in the planner., and buy a 12 inch with the cutter head you want. I think you will get the better of both worlds and still have money left in your pocket.

I have no plans to upgrade either of my planners or 8 inch jointer. I change jointer knives about once a year also and it is just not worth an extra $400 for an hours worth of work. If I was a professional maybe, but I am not.

Tom