Planer downsizing
I agree with the others that said you would be best to upgrade to a Byrd head in your existing 20" planer. I changed out a 15" myself and it was not too bad if you're worried about that. I'm a hack mechanic and I got thru it so I'm sure you can too. And worth it too. Also think about adding a wixey gauge while you're at it. I don't use it all the time, but it's nice to have. Especially if you have to go back and repeat an exact thickness. I had to do some McGuyvering to attach it to my planer but it's do-able.

If you're going to buy a 15" planer, I'd get the Grizzly. I have a Yorkcraft, which I'd put on par with Grizzly. It works great. To me the premium for PM or really any of the others is not worth the extra cost when buying new.
(01-26-2022, 05:29 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: If you have been using the planner for 12 years, and it has done a good job for you up until now, is a $1,000 plus upgrade really worth it? Someone wrote that you present planner is worth about $1500- to $2000 on the used market. If you spend another $1000 you are close to new price and it won't hold that price on the used market. I sharpen my own blades and change blades about once a year in my 13 inch planner and I haven't changed my blades in the 15 inch in 3 years. I would put fresh knives in the planner., and buy a 12 inch with the cutter head you want. I think you will get the better of both worlds and still have money left in your pocket.

I have no plans to upgrade either of my planners or 8 inch jointer. I change jointer knives about once a year also and it is just not worth an extra $400 for an hours worth of work. If I was a professional maybe, but I am not.

Tom

Sorry Tom, not to be a contrarian but I couldn't disagree more. I have a Shop Fox 15" planer and an 8" jointer. Ordered the planer years ago with the carbide cutterhead and converted the jointer to a Byrd head - best thing I ever did! I have used both a "ton" and couldn't be happier with the result; money well spent. It is especially nice to not have to set jointer knives any longer.

Arnie, I would recommend you order a new Byrd carbide cutterhead from Brian at Holbren. That's where I bought mine for the jointer. Good guy and very competitive price for Woodnet members.

Doug
Bought my PM 15" planer like new used. It came with the spiral cutterhead. When I bought my 8" PM jointer, went the same way.
No way to describe it....they don't care what type of wood goes thru. They laugh at Cherry and Hickory. Chipout? Whats that? Enlighten me....

No Idea how many bf have been thru the planer, I've never rotated the inserts. I do keep cuts light, .040 max (half turn on the crank).
Someone posted a 15" Jet planer on Craig's list in Gresham. It has a brand new heliacal head. And the seller says he's in the market for a 20" planer. 

Too good to be true?

Planer
Wow! That would be awesome if it worked out... I'll PM Arnie!
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(02-02-2022, 07:04 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Wow! That would be awesome if it worked out... I'll PM Arnie!

Thanks BillN and Lumberyard!

I'm trying to contact him/her now. 
Cool
Arnie
(02-03-2022, 07:04 AM)MountainWood Wrote: Thanks BillN and Lumberyard!

I'm trying to contact him/her now. 
Cool

Have any luck Arnie?

Doug