So I want to get my first lathe…. (Help needed)
Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to get a lathe for some time now, but every time I started looking I just felt lost. Every model I saw for sale was either “too expensive” or “a piece of crap” according to those who I asked.

I obviously don’t need a brand Jew high end model, just something that works and can handle moderate sized workpieces. Ya know, like big enough to do chairs or something.

Realistically what should I be able to get that is decent in a manageable budget range? What was your first lathe? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Budget????????????????????
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

The right lathe will depend on what you intend to turn.   Large bowls and long spindles are two ends of the spectrum which will dictate different features.

Plenty of decent used lathes out there - you mentioned spindles and not bowls, so an older Powermatic 45/90 or equivalent delta 46-450, 46-411 would be reasonable as would many newer lathes from Nova, Laguna, Jet etc. 

Whatever the budget, realize that the lathe is likely the cheapest part of the equation, as you'll need tools, chucks, and other accessories.

If bowls are higher priority, look for features like a sliding or rotating headstock and more HP, plus digital control to ensure a very slow speed for roughing.

One way or the other, we'd need more information from you to provide better recommendations which will better suit your needs.
I'm a hack turner so I probably shouldn't be answering this but here goes anyway-

Per your post you're looking for a full size spindle lathe on a budget-

I'd get the Laguna 1525. $2300 +tax+s&h, etc on Woodcraft right now.
Do I own this lathe? No. But based on my experience with Laguna bandsaws and my trust in fellow man's on-line reviews, this looks like a decent entry level lathe, in-stock, that you could buy today if you wanted. If you get heavy in to turning will this be your forever lathe? No. Will it do big bowls? No. Small bowls- yes. Gives you a starting point and some room to grow. If you only do occasional turning this could be your forever lathe. (There is also a Jet 14/40 for a couple hundred bucks more you could go with)

If you want to step up to $3,000-$3,500 you'll get a lot more lathe (capability, features, etc.), but doesn't sound like this is in your budget. Dial-in variable speed is really nice to have, but not necessary. Capacity? only if you're doing big bowls or really long stuff which it sounds like you're not into.

If you're patient, your best bet is to look around and buy used as others have noted. Also as noted- the chucks, tools, sharpening, etc. eventually add up to way more than you'll spend on an entry level lathe. Around here, used lathes seem somewhat more common than the other major tools - jointers, cabinet saws, big bandsaws so you never know. If you get lucky, you'll find a similar class lathe or maybe better for a lot less money, which you can put into your tooling. Or if you hit the jackpot, you'll find someone with a world class lathe and all the tooling getting out of turning and you can buy the whole set-up for a reasonable price. These come around more than you might think, but you still have to get lucky and have a lot of patience.

Good luck.
Forgot something- the other thing you'll see on used lathes on CL or FBM type places is a lot of ~$300 beginner lathes (full size). That's not a bad option either if you just want to get into spinning wood fast and cheap. IMO, throw out the buy once, cry once motto for entry level lathes. Cheap lathes aren't like cheap tablesaws where the accuracy is in the fence, etc. A lathe is just a jig that holds wood in place and spins it. The accuracy is in the hands, so you can get away with more corners cut on a lathe. Not that a cheap lathe will be as nice, fun, etc. but it's easier to do good work on a cheap lathe than good work on a cheap tablesaw for example. What I'm trying to say here is if you find say a $500 (any brand) full size spindle lathe that runs and that comes with all the tooling, rests, etc. then I would jump on that (with the intention of upgrading later once you really know what you're looking for).
Please define "moderate size." For some of us, "moderate" is 10 inches diameter. For others, it's 5". As stated before, the length and diameter of what you'll be turning will determine the size of lathe you need.

My first lathe was a Jet Mini (1014VS). I upgraded to a Teknatool Nova 1624 and now their direct drive variable speed version.

Your budget for a lathe should include a chuck, jaws, and turning tools. If you have a grinder, you're ahead of the game for sharpening the tools. Otherwise, consider a low speed grinder and a tool rest that will allow you to hold the tool steady while sharpening. Wolverine makes a jig that makes it easy to sharpen spindle and bowl gouges.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-27-2022, 09:28 AM)Yodascaretaker Wrote: Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to get a lathe for some time now, but every time I started looking I just felt lost.  Every model I saw for sale was either “too expensive” or “a piece of crap” according to those who I asked. 

I obviously don’t need a brand Jew high end model, just something that works and can handle moderate sized workpieces.  Ya know, like big enough to do chairs or something. 

Realistically what should I be able to get that is decent in a manageable budget range?  What was your first lathe?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I started turning last year. I bought a WEN lathe (12x18, variable speed) with a 23-inch bed extension. The first thing I turned was a scrap piece of padauk that my kids still use as a magic wand. The second thing I turned was a maple baseball bat. The lathe and extension were $520. I bought HSS tools that I almost never touch, instead exclusively using carbide tools (they stay sharper much, much, much longer). You can start turning (spindles especially) with just a live center and a spur drive. I have since collected a lot of other chucks, jaws, and faceplates, but for turning spindles you really don't need much. Under no circumstances would I recommend spending anywhere near that much on a lathe, especially since you're just getting started. By that I mean the $1000+ range, I am still somewhat new at it but I don't have the slightest idea what a fancier lathe would really get me. I've been able to turn these things just fine:

https://ibb.co/bgqN6q1
https://ibb.co/0V8f7Cb
https://ibb.co/5BmnR24
https://ibb.co/wwqV4tm
(01-27-2022, 09:28 AM)Yodascaretaker Wrote: Hey everyone,

I’ve been wanting to get a lathe for some time now, but every time I started looking I just felt lost.  Every model I saw for sale was either “too expensive” or “a piece of crap” according to those who I asked. 

I obviously don’t need a brand Jew high end model, just something that works and can handle moderate sized workpieces.  Ya know, like big enough to do chairs or something. 

Realistically what should I be able to get that is decent in a manageable budget range?  What was your first lathe?  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

My first lathe, not counting a Shopsmith, was a Jet 1014 bought on Craigslist from a divorce and a stand and bed extension bought here through SnS. That lathe is still in the family, but it is in FL.

Lathes now in the shop include a Jet 1642 that came out of a Woodcraft classroom and a PM 3520 that was a demo at an AAW symposium. The definition of "manageable budget range" changes over the years for most of us.

The AAW website has a list for their local affiliate clubs.
https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/AA...nects.aspx
The clubs are often a good source for used lathes as people upgrade or downsize. Even more importantly, they often have mentor and class programs where you can get your feet wet to better understand what sort of turning you want to do.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I started out with a Delta Model 110, 11" swing,36" between centers. Bought in a thrift shop for $100. I still have it, and turned hundreds of bowls on it. Seven lathes later, I have about $7000 worth of ONEWAY 2436 with an outboard extrension in the shop. So it can be addictive.

That 110 is available to anybody who wants it. No motor, no tail stock, but on a very good metal stand.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Istarted out with a crapsman 12x36 lathe
with the tube design between head and tailstock. In my 0pinion, just about the worst lathe ever sold. I didn't know any better. It was almost eneough to make me give up on the lathe. I did manage to make some nice pieces on it, but that was a lot harder than it should have been. Also gave me 7 stitches to the head. After 1 0f our moves, my shop wasn't set up yet and I needed 2 pillars to finish of the side of a fireplace. Screwed the lathe down to an old table we had in the basement. Vibration caused the table setions to come apart and I went from turning to being on my hands and knees on the floor watching the blood drip off my forehead. I should have realised that the way the tube slid together, the only thing holding everything together were the screws hollding down the head and tail stock. It was about a 4: diameter by 34" piece that hit me. Do not buy or even axcept free a lathe like that.