Table saw dust collection...
Finally setting up my shop in new house. New shop is smaller :-(  I need better dust collection.

One dust perpetrator is my circa 2000 Grizzle 1023 table saw. I would like to…
1. Improve the dust collector effectiveness in the cabinet
2. Add dust collection above the blade

It’s been a couple of years since I used it. From the pics, clearly I had used tape to try and seal off some air entry. I suspect there are better ways. Maybe a rubber or bristle brush type thing for the bevel rotation slots, for example?

And any suggestion for a blade guard dust collection apparatus would also be appreciated. I don’t have room in my shop for one of those long arm things. It will need to attach to the regular blade guard point or from the ceiling. The Shark guard looks promising, but I'll take any suggestions. 

How about inside the saw? I was always surprised that even with a 2hp dust collector the interior cabinet would sometimes fill up. Clearly, I didn't have the dust collection setup right. 

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Plans? Who needs plans? They're in my head!
Here's a video that might help.

Good luck,

Doug
Blocking off air flow may be counterproductive. You need the air to moving through the cabinet, and that air has to come from somewhere. It might not be a bad idea to try and control how the air flows though it, but blocking it off is not the way to do so. As for the blade, the dust being thrown is coming from the gullets in the blade. Having air flow around the insert just isn't practical. Remember, in most cases when your cutting, the workpiece is covering any opening in the insert.....so drilling holes and such just doesn't help. You need any over blade pickup (as you surmised) and the Shark Guard would be a great choice. There are other options but the Shark is affordable and effective. The dust build up in the cabinet is something you'll have to live with (IMHO). A 2 HP DC is a bare minimum (again IMHO) and you probably don't have enough air flow to catch it all...increase the air flow and you'll catch more of the dust.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Dust collecting is an art and a science.  It is not as simple as putting a larger dust collector on a piece of equipment.  You are moving air volume to move dust.  You are not merely creating a vacuum.  You can create a strong vacuum by blocking 100% of the air flow.  By blocking off the openings, you are reducing the volume of air and thus not moving the dust.  

If you turn on your dust collector and then block the air flow, you will hear the pitch of the motor increase.  That means the RPMs are increasing and the volume of air is decreasing.
You want to let air into the saw cabinet to keep the motor cool.  Beyond that I don't worry about dust that builds up inside.  The DC gets what it gets.  What it doesn't I remove as needed by opening the front door and scooping out the accumulation into the sawdust bin.  I could suck it out with the DC, too, whatever you prefer.  The Shark Guard is a fine choice for capturing dust off the top of the blade.  I use a repurposed Sears guard hung off the ceiling.  It stays in place even for dado work.  The only time I have to remove it is when cutting something really tall.  

[Image: RQxGDScWDJLbjVv2uirNGQbhxMzx1aRvDJcKxgxd...authuser=1]  
John
At least for the sawstop, their technicians advise against covering the front opening, though they don't say whether such sealing would affect the motor or the electronic safety feature.

Simon
Did anyone here watch the video I posted and its effectiveness on a Grizzly 1023 tablesaw?

Doug
Shark Guard is the answer for the above the table collection. As for cabinet collection, as long as it doesn't clog up who cares if you get every last speck of dust? The dust is contained in the cabinet anyways so, it's not posing any risk. My 2HP cyclone does a great job clearing both areas but I don't really worry about the cabinet collection.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(01-28-2022, 01:57 PM)Tapper Wrote: Did anyone here watch the video I posted and its effectiveness on a Grizzly 1023 tablesaw?

Doug

I watched most of it Doug.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-28-2022, 01:57 PM)Tapper Wrote: Did anyone here watch the video I posted and its effectiveness on a Grizzly 1023 tablesaw?

Doug

I did! Doug, I think you confirm that at least closing that one giant hole for accommodating different angles helps. My guess is there are ample other holes in the cabinet to get the airflow needed that others mention. Thank you for sharing!

Question for you: Who makes that above table guard shown in the practice cuts at the end of the video?
Plans? Who needs plans? They're in my head!