dado for glass inserts on doors
I'm making a curio cabinet that will have an arch on both doors. After using the rail & style cutters I need to clear out the back where the glass will go. I will then cut and tack in wood restrainers to hold the glass in place.
My question what do you do to rout out for the glass on the arches? All of my edge trimers with the guide on top have a screw that sticks up to far to allow me to trim. The set screw will hit the outer edge of the trim profile.

I hope I made myself clear enough.

Jim
Jim
I would use a patterning bit with a bearing on the shaft end of the bit. There are flush trim bits that have a bearing on both ends of the bit. The bearing on the end is removable.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I'm unclear what the problem is. Could you show us a photo or sketch to show what the set screw will hit?
Use a rabbeting bit referencing that outer edge.  1-1/4" dia. with 3/8' bearing will produce 1/2" rabbet; about the same as the groove produced from your stile/rail set.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I'm not sure I followed the question either, but I think the rabbeting bit is what you need.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Wink 
A sketch is out of the question, since I don't have that technology in my head. 

I do have a trim bit with the guide on the shaft end. What this would involve is me making a template 1 1/4" thick because of the length of the cutter.

I've included a pic of the trim bit and the area on the arch that needs to be removed.

Thanks.

Jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Jim
As others said, you need a rabbeting bit.  That avoids having to make a template.  The top bearing follows the profile of your piece.  The diameter of the bearing you choose controls the width of the rabbet produced.  

John
(01-30-2022, 11:01 AM)jteneyck Wrote: As others said, you need a rabbeting bit.  That avoids having to make a template.  The top bearing follows the profile of your piece.  The diameter of the bearing you choose controls the width of the rabbet produced.  

John

John;

A regular rabbiting bit won't work, I have several of them with the guide below & above the cutter. I guess the point I didn't make clear is the fact that it can only cut so high up. I need to clear an area for the glass but leave the profile that'll be seen over the glass from the outside of the cabinet. That's why I need to make a template for the guide to ride on but only cut so high up to leave the profile.
I guess that's as clear as mud.

Jim
Jim
(01-31-2022, 09:08 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: John;

A regular rabbiting bit won't work, I have several of them with the guide below & above the cutter. I guess the point I didn't make clear is the fact that it can only cut so high up. I need to clear an area for the glass but leave the profile that'll be seen over the glass from the outside of the cabinet. That's why I need to make a template for the guide to ride on but only cut so high up to leave the profile.

Jim

The situation you describe is exactly what a top bearing rabbeting bit is made for, and it will cut as high as you want as long as the bearing can ride on the profile. Post a picture of your profile when it's lying flat on the bench.  Maybe that will illustrate your point.  

John
(01-31-2022, 09:08 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: John;

Jim

If those bits have a guide on the top and bottom of the cutter, it's not a rabbeting bit.  A rabbeting bit has the guide below the cutter at the end of the shaft.  There are rabbeting sets which allow you to adjust the width of the rabbet by changing out the roller bearing.  For me, using a rabbeting bit is a job for a hand-held router and not your router table.  I prefer to see where the bit it cutting, vs. having it blind where the rabbet is on the table side of the cut.

These are rabbeting bits:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q...Results=25
Still Learning,

Allan Hill