Small Glass Stop
Hi.

Made some divided glass doors - used 3/4" stock. The router bit set I used says 3/4" or 7/8" stock but I realized if 3/4" stock is used the rabbet for the glass is a bit shallow at 1/4" deep (vertically). These doors are for a built in base cabinet thus I have to use tempered glass, thinnest is 1/8" thick I believe. Doors are inset into a 3/4" thick face frame. I have a lot of hours into this so will stick with what I have.

I made a sample glass stop at about 1/8" thick by 1/4" wide. I know usually small nails are used but i assume I could use small screws, predrilling the stop of course.

I was wondering for the typical kitchen cabinets I would assume 3/4" stock would be used whether inset or overlay to match adjoining non glass cabinets - are the glass stops this small? I could not really adjust the router bit to make a deeper rabbet because part of the front side profile would be missing.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Stops I made for my cabinets are roughly that size.  I used a pin nailer to attach them.  Worked quite well.
Ok, that makes me feel better. I have a pin nailer, definitely sounds like the way to go.
Would you consider a bead of silicone adhesive instead of a wooden stop?  If it needed to be replaced an sharp utility knife would release the silicone. And it is guaranteed not to rattle.
The little stops will be fine if you pin nail them, but I would set the glass in a few small dabs of silicone during installation.  That will keep them from rattling and hold the glass in the frame and make the stops mostly decorative rather than the means of holding the glass in place.  

John
I did some for my house years ago and just ued the stops. About a month later I was pulling them apart and resetting in silicone. It was that or a divorce. The rattle every time you opened and closed a door was VERRRRRY anoying. I really couldn't blame her for complaining.
(01-30-2022, 02:46 PM)Turner52 Wrote: I did some for my house years ago and just ued the stops. About a month later I was pulling them apart and resetting in silicone. It was that or a divorce. The rattle every time you opened and closed a door was VERRRRRY anoying. I really couldn't blame her for complaining.

Mine are panes at the top of Craftsman doors, but we're in several of them many times every day and I've never heard any rattles.  Glass is only in the uppers... so I suppose any rattle would be more noticeable in a lower.  FWIW,  my bride takes no care when shutting the doors.  Maybe I'm lucky.  Also don't hear any in the bookcase doors I did the same way.

I've used silcone and/or hot glue many times in the past and made a proper mess more often than not.