GE Profile appliance rant
I installed a microwave a few years ago that could be vented outside or return the air back into the room.  I suspect whoever installed your microwave was too lazy to cut a hole through the wall and vent it outside.  

John
(03-12-2022, 07:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I installed a microwave a few years ago that could be vented outside or return the air back into the room.  I suspect whoever installed your microwave was too lazy to cut a hole through the wall and vent it outside.  

John

I'm that guy that was too lazy to cut a hole through the wall to vent it outside.  Ours vents right up onto the cabinets I lovingly built.  This is the second house we've had one vent indoors... first time by choice, based largely on my never seeing the 'negatives' of the other one that somebody else did.  

Blowing onto the cabinets was the only reason I even considered sending it outside.
Reading this thread was the first time I ever heard of venting a microwave outside.
(01-29-2022, 04:49 PM)doobes Wrote: Holy moly, this stuff is horrendous. LOML and I sold our house in Reston, VA last February and have been living in a rental townhouse in Fairfax, VA while we find our "final destination".

This is a production builder house full of GE Profile appliances. OMG, this stuff is amazingly dreadful

There is a five burner cooktop. Doesn't get particularly hot, but the most wonderful feature is you can turn the gas on without it lighting. Whisky Tango Foxtrot? How is this legal? You have to stop the control at the light position for the igniter to go on. I'm dumbstruck they haven't been sued into next year on this foo foo. I had a nice Dacor range at the old house and the igniter fired until the gas was lit independent of position. 

The house is only 6 years and I've now had to replace the cheap knobs for the second time. I found metal knobs on the 'zon this time, so hopefully they will last a bit longer.

The markings on the stove and microwave are, for all intents, gone. They were pretty faint when we moved in, but my OCD clean freak wife has pretty much wiped them off.

It's a 30 inch microwave/vent, but it doesn't vent. It just blows the air from the stove all around the kitchen. The cabinets are perpetually dripping with grease as a result. There are 3" spacers on either side because it's over a 36" cooktop. They don't sell a real 36" microwave/vent.

And then there is the brain damaged double oven. I went to enter an hour and a half today for a meat loaf. Entered 90.0 and it spits at me. So I enter 1.5 for an hour and a half. No, that's an hour and 50 minutes. Geeze.

It's about as well insulated as a tin can. We learned real quick not to use it in the summer as it would heat the whole house up. And no, don't even think about turning on the self clean feature unless it's below freezing outside.

If they weren't giving this crap to contractors, they would have long ago been gone.

Sorry, had to get this of my chest.

Unfortunately all the houses we are looking at to potentially buy are full of this junk as well. Sigh...

I am fairly certain your hood is installed incorrectly as most anything over gas needs to be vented to the outside.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-30-2022, 09:14 AM)EricU Wrote: at one time there was a 26" oven size.  I think it might have been a GE exclusive.  Our kitchen cabinets are built to use one, and when the old oven died in a shower of molten burner, the only 26" oven I could find was also a GE.  The door wouldn't open, fortunately I checked before I finished installing it.  Out of curiosity, I opened up the self cleaning door latch mechanism and there was no way that thing was good for more than a few cycles, it was just flimsy trash. Apparently the main gear wallered out during the factory test and the worker decided it looked good from their house. I was shocked at how bad it was, I would say it's unethical to sell an appliance that bad. Should have taken pictures.  I can't force myself to even look at another GE appliance, forget it.

Forgot about the heat pump water heater where they cross-threaded a plug in the tank. They knew about those and shipped them anyway.  Those things are heavy too, getting it in and out of the basement was a big chore.

Anyway, we still don't have an oven
Smile

I was going to put in a 24" but I couldn't get Loml to agree on one.

HA!  I just had to deal with an oven like that.  It was from the 60's the closest I could find was a 27".  So I cut the face frame and all around the shelf above the oven with a Fein and that allowed for moving the shelf up enough to fit the oven below after I widened the opening.  I ended up with something that looked like it had always been that way.  I used pocket screws to hold the shelf and reattach to the face frame.  

As for GE water heaters they were made by Rheem unless something changed.  I had one go bad and HD was giving me trouble with the warranty I got to calling eventually got a VP at GE no idea how and within minutes had HD calling me asking for the return and that the replacement was waiting for me.  I put the second one into service don't think I will be buying another.  It's part of the reason I keep spare water heaters in 3 sizes at the ready year round
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I will never buy GE appliance again, we are very dissatisfied with a range and its performance. A brand even worse is Electrolux. Both a fridge and dishwasher were junk. I replaced the dishwasher with Kitchenaid and we are very happy with it.