GE Profile appliance rant
Holy moly, this stuff is horrendous. LOML and I sold our house in Reston, VA last February and have been living in a rental townhouse in Fairfax, VA while we find our "final destination".

This is a production builder house full of GE Profile appliances. OMG, this stuff is amazingly dreadful

There is a five burner cooktop. Doesn't get particularly hot, but the most wonderful feature is you can turn the gas on without it lighting. Whisky Tango Foxtrot? How is this legal? You have to stop the control at the light position for the igniter to go on. I'm dumbstruck they haven't been sued into next year on this foo foo. I had a nice Dacor range at the old house and the igniter fired until the gas was lit independent of position. 

The house is only 6 years and I've now had to replace the cheap knobs for the second time. I found metal knobs on the 'zon this time, so hopefully they will last a bit longer.

The markings on the stove and microwave are, for all intents, gone. They were pretty faint when we moved in, but my OCD clean freak wife has pretty much wiped them off.

It's a 30 inch microwave/vent, but it doesn't vent. It just blows the air from the stove all around the kitchen. The cabinets are perpetually dripping with grease as a result. There are 3" spacers on either side because it's over a 36" cooktop. They don't sell a real 36" microwave/vent.

And then there is the brain damaged double oven. I went to enter an hour and a half today for a meat loaf. Entered 90.0 and it spits at me. So I enter 1.5 for an hour and a half. No, that's an hour and 50 minutes. Geeze.

It's about as well insulated as a tin can. We learned real quick not to use it in the summer as it would heat the whole house up. And no, don't even think about turning on the self clean feature unless it's below freezing outside.

If they weren't giving this crap to contractors, they would have long ago been gone.

Sorry, had to get this of my chest.

Unfortunately all the houses we are looking at to potentially buy are full of this junk as well. Sigh...
chris
I had a Samsung stove that did that. There was an igniter position on the knob, but you could easily skip it.
VH07V  
I feel your pain and sympathize.  I gave up on GE (and it's siblings) many years ago.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Last GE we bought was a front load washer (and the matching dryer).  That was the first washer we've had that absolutely wouldn't stop bouncing.  Can't count the number of times I adjusted it to no avail. 

We went with all 'upper end' LG for this house.  Everything works as advertised and is functional... but four out of four pieces in the kitchen have 'fit and finish' issues.   Top load washer (and matching dryer) are fine.  Unless you're writing a big check for a very high-end line, I expect you'll be disappointed on some level with anything today.
LOML looks for GE Profile at those extremely rare times that we buy new kitchen appliances.  I pick stuff for the shop, she gets to pick items for the house. 

We have a kitchen full of GE Profile appliances.  Refrigerator, cooktop, double wall oven, dishwasher, microwave.  They all seem to work fine.  Will admit the gas cooktop will do the gas thing you're talking about. 

I have to wonder about your oven installation.  I replaced our single wall oven with a double unit three years ago.  The install instructions gave all the clearances and I followed those.  I don't have a heat dissipation issue like you describe.  We use the oven most days year-round, and have not noted any significant heating of the space around the oven.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
at one time there was a 26" oven size.  I think it might have been a GE exclusive.  Our kitchen cabinets are built to use one, and when the old oven died in a shower of molten burner, the only 26" oven I could find was also a GE.  The door wouldn't open, fortunately I checked before I finished installing it.  Out of curiosity, I opened up the self cleaning door latch mechanism and there was no way that thing was good for more than a few cycles, it was just flimsy trash. Apparently the main gear wallered out during the factory test and the worker decided it looked good from their house. I was shocked at how bad it was, I would say it's unethical to sell an appliance that bad. Should have taken pictures.  I can't force myself to even look at another GE appliance, forget it.

Forgot about the heat pump water heater where they cross-threaded a plug in the tank. They knew about those and shipped them anyway. Those things are heavy too, getting it in and out of the basement was a big chore.

Anyway, we still don't have an oven
Smile

I was going to put in a 24" but I couldn't get Loml to agree on one.
Thank you for the sympathy. 

Not surprised to find I'm not alone in my hatred of this crap.

The positive is, I've found a couple of alternate manufacturers of kitchen appliances;
So when we buy a house that will inevitably be full of GE Profile crap, I know where to go for replacements.

cheers,
chris
On the microwave vent, maybe the blower drum was never rotated 180 degrees, like you're supposed to do when venting out the back?
So about the time that home was built, GE appliances were still built by General Electric Corp. At about the same time, Haier acquired GE Appliances from GE. They still use the GE and Profile names. I think the GE Profile is the same as Hot Point. I'm seeing Haier appliances now too and appear to be about the same as the GE.

Anyway, the newer Haier/GE Profile products are much better and more reliable. A friend's nephew repairs appliances and talked us into buying GE Profile for our new kitchen 2-1/2 years ago. No issues so far. The only problem we had was the fridge shipped with the wrong handles. I called customer service (In Kentucky) and we had the new handles in 2 days. Customer svc was great.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Couple of things to bear in mind:

None of things you mentioned are limited to GE Profile appliances.  None 
No

Profile is marketed as a middle of the road brand.  Marketed being key. They are simply tarted up entry level appliances made to look like more expensive models / brands. 

You want better quality and features ? You can have them, but be prepared to pay up.  Even then they won’t be perfect.  I have a Wolf oven on which the controls make no sense and infuriate me.  Rest of the family thinks it’s  fine.  Have a Miele dishwasher which at the time was the most expensive DW you could buy.  The cleaning people have “cleaned” the button markings right off the control panel. Price is not the only decider of quality, features and satisfaction.  Hard to get the first two for little money though. 

Z-line is much like Profile.  Tarted up appliances made to “look” like more expensive brands. Not made in the USA.   Five Star makes a solid product in TN.  Many feel the features and packaging (looks / snob appeal) are not commensurate with the price which is close to wolf, thermador , and viking. 

Keep in mind that you are not going to get the best appliances from a single brand.  Especially if you are particular about certain features , control layout/operation, and looks.  Part of the reason builders like profile is that GE makes it relatively easy to spec, price , and obtain appliance that visually appeal to many buyers.  price and OBTAIN being the key.  Sub Zero fridges are in short supply for the last 12 months.  Miele dishwashers are non existent for at least six - no stock , no deliveries , nada.  And if you want a price you have to contact a dealer or rep. A builder can log in to their account with GE and find pricing on this or that in seconds.