router table insert opening repair
I was given an MDF router table with insert plate. Also has a miter track and T-Tracks for attaching a fence. Appears to be in good shape except for the corners of the opening for the insert plate which have been damaged by the leveling screws.

How would you suggest repairing the damaged corners ?

Metal shims, epoxy, other ??

Thanks, Bill
If you have the vertical adjustment room to add a metal s h i m underneath the screw that would be a permanent fix. Maybe you could take a fender washer with a radius similar to the plate corner cut-out and cut a section of "pie" out of it to glue down into the corner. A hacksaw or dremel with cut-off wheel could easily do the washer trimming.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-30-2022, 11:55 PM)wjt Wrote: I was given an MDF router table with insert plate. Also has a miter track and T-Tracks for attaching a fence. Appears to be in good shape except for the corners of the opening for the insert plate which have been damaged by the leveling screws.

How would you suggest repairing the damaged corners ?

Metal shims, epoxy, other ??
You might clean out the damaged MDF corners with a forstner bit, then glue in a dime or nickle, or an electrical box knockout.
(01-31-2022, 08:35 AM)jazzgtrist Wrote: You might clean out the damaged MDF corners with a forstner bit, then glue in a dime or nickle, or an electrical box knockout.

Must be a sign of the times. I would have used a penny
Big Grin. But, I have always been cheap.
I raided the piggy bank and used the expensive option. I epoxied finishing washers shaped to fit in the corners using my 12" disk sander.

The finishing washers were .040" thick.

Bill
(01-31-2022, 08:35 AM)jazzgtrist Wrote: You might clean out the damaged MDF corners with a forstner bit, then glue in a dime or nickle, or an electrical box knockout.

I don't have a nickle or dime sized forstner bit. I do have a 3/4" and 1", so for 3/8 radius it's a penny. If it's 1/2" we'll have to invest a lot more and use a quarter. Good news is we'll have two bits left from each; "Shave and a haircut, two bits". (Before my time, but that's when a quarter dollar was cut into eight pieces or "bits".)
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"