Router based pocket hole machine build?
Has anyone built a router based pocket hole machine?

I know Castle makes several and while I like the look of the 100, I can’t bring myself to spend $700 on it for a hobby shop.

I also see plans available online from woodsmith that may be of some value just to be sure the geometry is right.

I like the idea of the lower angle of about 6 degrees vs the 15 degrees that the kreg produces, to help with joint creep.

I do wonder if the lower angle makes it harder to drive the screw?

Has anyone built a DIY router based pocket hole machine, and if you have would you do it again? Also any pointers on how to set it up.

Thank you
Duke
I've found that if the joint is clampled properly and you limit how much glue you use there's no creep with the 15 deg Kreg system.   Sprinkle a little salt on the glue side of the joint if you want extra grip - seriously.  

The Castle 6 deg pockets are a lot longer than for the Kreg.  No system is perfect.  The Castle 700 is sold out and they're not taking orders.  

John
(01-31-2022, 07:40 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've found that if the joint is clampled properly and you limit how much glue you use there's no creep with the 15 deg Kreg system.   Sprinkle a little salt on the glue side of the joint if you want extra grip - seriously.  

The Castle 6 deg pockets are a lot longer than for the Kreg.  No system is perfect.  The Castle 700 is sold out and they're not taking orders.  

John

I have a clamp table to keep joints aligned, and have been successfully using the Kreg jig for almost 20 years, but I’m fascinated with the benefits of the low angle 6 degree pocket holes and making them with a router.
An FYI 

Router Pocket Hole Jig

Doug
(02-03-2022, 08:39 AM)JDuke Wrote: I have a clamp table to keep joints aligned, and have been successfully using the Kreg jig for almost 20 years, but I’m fascinated with the benefits of the low angle 6 degree pocket holes and making them with a router.

Why mess with success?  The 6 deg angle will result in a longer pocket that's even more unsightly than what a 15 deg gives.  

John
Thanks Doug, I had seen that and may buy their plans.

I’ve also seen one on Facebook that I’ve gotten some measurements off of.

Thanks
Duke
you can put me down as a fan of 6 degree (approximately) pocket holes.

Got the machine mostly done today and was able to cut a few pocket holes the joint creep that the steeper holes have was almost entirely absent.
Just a little hand pressure lining everything up and no creep at all. 

Duke 

I’ll try to get some pictures tomorrow and post them.
This is where an MFT or through the top clamping set up is very handy!
This works like you’d expect push lever to rotate router into workpiece and pull to bring drill forward.

The one downside to this angle is it does lead to more cam out when driving the screw.

I still need to add a clamp, I have A couple arriving today not sure if I’ll do manual or pneumatic.
Also need to add a switch.

Unfortunately I can’t post pictures as I don’t have a place to host them, and have no interest in using a photo hosting sight.
For the benefit of anyone who comes along later and looks at this thread.

I went back today and adjusted the drill bit bushing and drill to drill the pilot hole at 6 degrees and that seems to have solved the cam out issue when driving screws.

Duke