How to reinforce a firepit wooden table top
OK, so I think I'll skip the circle underneath the cover.  I'm also reconsidering installing cleats underneath.  Reason being is that the lip around the firepit is 4-5" so they won't be able to reach to the outside to lend support.

So, I'm thinking of installing them on the topside.  Now, the firepit is old and I'm using scrap wood, so I'm not building a piano here, but I would like to the top to be attractive.  What would you suggest for cleat design that'll sit on top.  One thing to consider is that someone might sit on the top so it should be relatively strong (the 3/4" white cedar that the ring's made of isn't too strong, but cleats will strengthen it up.

So, I'm looking for design ideas for cleats that'll sit on the top.  What say you?
Dumber than I appear
Not top mounted, but what about an exterior grade plywood circle to fit within the fire pit underneath?
It will serve to both lock the cover in place and provide additional stiffness...