Dust Collection Pipe Questions
Question 
Starting to plan my dust collection layout.  I was looking at using Nordfab pipe and fittings.  The consensus seems to be, great stuff but expensive.  I looked on the Grizzly site and they have US Duct.  The US Duct is considerably cheaper.  Like 40% on a 8" by 5' pipe section!!  Does anyone have any experience with either brand?  Are they basically interchangeable?  I know that my new DC is set up for Nordfab.

I like the fact that the metal duct can be changed easily but I was wondering if once I branch off the main truck if the installation would be easier using PVC?  The main trunk will 8".  I will probably have 1-3  8" lines coming off the main.  Once I drop down to 4" for each machine, is it easier to use PVC?

Any other issues that I need to consider?

TIA

Toney
(02-02-2022, 05:08 PM)iublue Wrote: Starting to plan my dust collection layout.  I was looking at using Nordfab pipe and fittings.  The consensus seems to be, great stuff but expensive.  I looked on the Grizzly site and they have US Duct.  The US Duct is considerably cheaper.  Like 40% on a 8" by 5' pipe section!!  Does anyone have any experience with either brand?  Are they basically interchangeable?  I know that my new DC is set up for Nordfab.

I like the fact that the metal duct can be changed easily but I was wondering if once I branch off the main truck if the installation would be easier using PVC?  The main trunk will 8".  I will probably have 1-3  8" lines coming off the main.  Once I drop down to 4" for each machine, is it easier to use PVC?

Any other issues that I need to consider?

TIA

Toney

Another place to get get pipe that clamps together( like Nordfab, and is compatable with Nordfab) is Blastgate Company in Warren , MI. They are very good to deal with and have quality products.  www.blastgateco.com
(02-02-2022, 06:09 PM)Husky9988 Wrote: Another place to get get pipe that clamps together( like Nordfab, and is compatable with Nordfab) is Blastgate Company in Warren , MI. They are very good to deal with and have quality products.  www.blastgateco.com

Thanks,

Their pricing is even better!
Someone has to say it--------------

be sure to ground the pipes.
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Uhoh
IMO there is no reason not to use PVC. Personally the only reason I would use metal ducting is to show off I have some money LOL.
(02-03-2022, 09:46 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: IMO there is no reason not to use PVC.  Personally the only reason I would use metal ducting is to show off I have some money LOL.

Unless you're using drain pipe (might work, never tried it) the metal pipe I use is about half the price of PVC. I always thought it was the other way around.
Sewer and drain pipe works great.

The fittings are expensive though.
(02-03-2022, 10:02 AM)only 3 injuries Wrote: Sewer and drain pipe works great.

The fittings are expensive though.

I only checked out of curiosity, but this looks interesting:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-Dra.../100135310

Looks like it would be reasonably airtight, especially with taped joints, and smooth enough to offset turbulence common with flex pipe. That's why I use the metal pipe for longer runs.
I would recomend staying away from the flexible drain pipe. The ribs distupt the airflow. It also is very loud from the turbulance.
I used it for direct venting with portable dc unit and drumsander (the dc filter would plug with the fine dust).
It wasn't a fun time.

Ed
I've been using 6" PVC for over 24 years and never had a problem. The only issue I've had is once I had a clog in one of the corner turns. Wish I would've use 2 22 1/2 degree turns instead of 1 45 degree turn.

FWIW

Jim
Jim