6 x 48" sanding belt source
I have an old Rockwell stationary 6 x 48" belt sander that I need to get a couple belts for.  What grit(s) do you suggest (I was thinking about 120), and where is a good source?  I see a lot of "no name" ones available, but think something better might work out in the long run.  Don't get me wrong, I am at least as cheap as the next person, but I know quality is worth something.  I will use it for general woodworking.

Thanks!
Klingspor. Excellent products.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/abrasive...0X%2048%22
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
120 grit is a little fine for my use on the 6x48 sander. it starts out nice but tends to load and burn after it has been used for a while and the grit has settled down. 80 grit is my choice. It is a little aggressive at first but then settles down. I use it for initial shaping and sanding on bandsaw boxes and joint adjustments in general woodworking. 80 grit is a little coarse and leaves scratches when used across the wood grain but I can usually figure a way to finish the sanding going with the grain. On bandsaw boxes I actually revert to 60 grit on the random orbit sander after the 6x48 but only on the end grain. After that I work up the grits fairly quickly.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Quite a few companies out there will make you a few belts. Lots of options there.

I have tried a few and I stick with an 80 grit.  It is not a finishing tool but does leave a reasonable surface that I can finish sand.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Depends on your uses but 80 grit for heavy work and 120 for light work suits me well but I don’t do a lot of work on the belt/disc sander. That said, Harbor Freight belts are cheap, readily available and good enough for my limited uses.

I primarily use 120 grit, 80 once in a while.

Plus 2 on Klingspor, very good products!
(02-07-2022, 06:16 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: That said, Harbor Freight belts are cheap, readily available and good enough for my limited uses.

I bought some 6x48 belts from HF a number of years ago. That is where I found out there is more than one way to join the sanding belt loops. They were overlapped. This created a bump every time the belt rotated by the seam and made it hard to do fine work on the sander.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(02-10-2022, 06:16 AM)KyleD Wrote: I bought some 6x48 belts from HF a number of years ago. That is where I found out there is more than one way to join the sanding belt loops. They were overlapped. This created a bump every time the belt rotated by the seam and made it hard to do fine work on the sander.

Once upon a time, all belts were joined that way.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-10-2022, 08:37 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
Once upon a time, all belts were joined that way.
Crazy

LOL. 
Aint that the truth!
But that was back in the day when no belt maker would ever produce a bumpybelt like they do today.  Those taped joints have a short shelf life, too. When sanding heat overcomes the adhesion of that tape, POW!  A rather startling surprise.
Good abrasives are expensive compared to the cheap stuff, but the good abrasives last so much longer.
What good belt makers I knew back in the day are no longer around.
The last time that I needed to replace that size belt immediately, I got a Shopsmith-branded belt at Lowes. There was a fairly premium cost for the convenience, but I have been happy with how that belt has held up. I use it on a SS 6" belt sander on a SS Power Stand. That is one of the most-used tools in my shop. Almost everything that I spindle-turn has its end cleaned up on that sander when I am done turning.

At an estate sale last year, I picked up a Jet combo belt/disk sander with that same-sized belt. The SS sander is still working so well that I have not taken the time to re-arrange the shop to put the Jet sander into use.

It probably goes without saying, but, just in case...
The art-gum erasers that they sell to clean/maintain sanding belts really do work great. It was truly mind-boggling the first time that I used one and saw how well it did refreshing the sanding surface.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.